Friday, December 4, 2015

LITTLE BOXES

The Christmas spirit hasn't hit me this year.....actually that's true for the last number of years.  With family so far away and no other company expected, it's difficult to work up enthusiasm to decorate the house.  So....while most of you are spending time with that activity....I am free to play with my fabric.
 Our son & DIL are such thoughtful 'kids'......I'm often treated with fabric treasures they acquire for me on their travels.  Here are some antique Japanese kimona fabrics.
 The layers were fused together with Wonder-Under. You can see the remains of the freezer paper template that was pressed onto one side......
 ........ it was a pattern guide for cutting out this shape.........
 ......to make these small several of these folded boxes/packages, (about 3" square) which morphed into making several more with National Nonwoven's Woolfelt.
 Hummmm.....are you wondering why the above boxes looked so plain?  Especially coming from my studio?  Of course you are......and that sparse look didn't last long for the felted packages.  After digging into my felted wool scrap box, I found numerous pieces already fused with Wonder-Under.  Then, using my hole punch.....I made circles.
                               
Ta-da......much better don't you think??

I'm sure you will find a lot of inspiration by following these Friday links:  Whoop, Whoop Friday, Crazy Mom Sews, Richard and Tanya Quilts, and Off The Wall Friday.

10 comments:

quiltedfabricart said...

Cool for any Yule! I know, bad pun :-) who doesn't like polka dots? I too will be alone at Christmas and fine with that. No shopping or creating stress, no decorating time spent. I will spoil myself to make up for it . Could be worse :-)

Windy Hill Happenings said...

I love polka dots...Clever you....the bags are wonderful!

Heather Pregger said...

What a great idea! These are lovely!

Linda M said...

The polka dots are wonderful and a very good idea!

Norma Schlager said...

These are charming and it's hard not to love a polka dot. Have fun creating.

Sherrie Spangler said...

Great idea to use a hole punch! Love the finished look.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Gosh, how clever is that to incorporate your favorite felt in this project? Makes perfect sense. I did not know that kind of punch would work with felt or fabric. The dots sure do jazz things up!

margaret said...

like you I do not do much for Christmas decoration wise, have done done so since I lost my Mum 9 years ago. I will have the Nativity scene out and my hardanger angel but no tree etc. This year we will have Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve as Helen once again volunteered to work Christmas Day. She will go and collect Catherine and Sal in the morning and take them home late afternoon after they have been fed! then a nice quiet 25th for me as will not have to cook, will no dbt be stitching or reading my books for inspiration.

PAMELA said...

These spotties are cute indeed.

Anonymous said...

The folded boxes with the dots are very cute! How lucky you are to have a thoughtful son and DIL to bring you fabrics from around the world. YOu are much-loved indeed! Have a great holiday and enjoy the time you have with your fabric! :) ~Melanie