For now, I've managed to avoid any more mistakes!
I've harped for years to my students about my motto...."that mistakes are merely design opportunities." They are!! Instead of beading this cabochon surrounded with an even count peyote stitch growing toward the center of the stone, the pattern was worked toward the outside. Thus covering the offending areas of glue that escaped. More decorative beading techniques were added to acheive more interest and to help contain the cabochon.
Next, hand embroidery was worked around some of the painted splotches.
.......and a few additional fabric accents help to balance the design.
Darn...I just realized I should have cropped this photo before posting.....sorry about that. I believe you can click on the photo to get a better view.
Though I generally don't use a facing to finish my work, this piece seemed to need a nice clean edge finish. It appears a bit wonky right now because the facing is only pinned in place....ready for some hand stitching this evening.
Wrong side......the corner triangles are slipped beneath the facing which will allow a thin rod to be positioned for hanging purposes....thus eliminating the need to add the 'traditional' sleeve.
Perhaps beads will be the final touch along the edges......stay tuned.... I'll post a photo of the finished piece shortly.