Wednesday, June 24, 2009

VIEWED WITH A SMILE EXHIBIT

Here are a few photos of quilts from my exhibit, "Viewed With A Smile", now hanging at the WNC Arboretum in Asheville, through Aug. 3rd.

The photos are clickable if you wish to enlarge them.

"But Doctor!" - this piece is a spoof of us quilters....this poor dear had to get help for her obsessive, compulsive, fabriholic ways. The cartoon bubble says...."But Doctor, you said to get a hobby!"

Smiles can be generated in lots of ways......when you think of your best friend.....doesn't that make you smile? The piece illustrates how I use beads in a supporting role for my quilts. Here bugle beads vibrate around the hearts while the seed bead spiral, X's & O's, and the lettering provide additional design elements as well as sparkle and texture.

When using beads for lettering, I often choose matte seed beads. The dull surface is easier to read than the sparkle of silver lined beads.

Anyone reading my blog is probably aware of my love affair with wool felt (and now bamboo/rayon felt). This wall quilt reflects my new mountain surroundings....the fall colors are nothing short of spectacular. A beading technique I developed that I call 'spiral' is used to outline the center rectangle, while 'bead applique' attaches the wool leaves in the border which adds detail to the 3-D leaves.


I began playing with wool felt while developing a workshop project for one of my quilting cruises. The cruise was on the Mississippi Queen from New Orleans to Memphis. Keeping in mind the history of these ships and the time they originally traveled, I got to thinking about Penny Rugs. One thing led to another, and soon I added my personal style to that early 1900 table top decoration. Buttons and beads are often featured in my updated 'rugs'.....turned wall quilts.

All these beading techniques can be found in my various books....see right side bar for details.

I hope you've enjoyed this peak.....if you live in the area, remember the Arboretum offers free parking on Tuesdays.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I really enjoy all the pictures you post. I used wool and beads on a really small piece several years ago and it makes me smile every time I look at it. It's just a fun combination.

That first photo of the woman on the couch really, really makes me smile. It's just so quilters!

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

Congratulations Mary.
It looks like a fantastic show.
Looking forward to seeing more of it.
K