Sunday, November 9, 2008

SMALL ZIPPERED BAGS

I'm not very good at sitting idle in the evenings, heck.....I'm not in control of the remote anyway!  So generally, I'm stitching on something and lately that's been small bead embellished zippered pouches.

Finished sizes are appx. 5" tall x 7 1/2" wide.  The outside is felted wool and the lining is cotton Batik.


1.  Cut a rectangle of felted wool the desired size, plus seam allowance.  Keep the size of the zipper in mind
2.  Stablize the wool with non-fusible pellon lightweight interfacing.  I thread baste the layers together, though you could spray baste.  Note: the basting lines running through the center still remain on this embellished section.  This reference line helps to keep the design placement away from where the lower seam will eventually be.
3.  Next, I gather up my beading supplies and plunk myself down on our denim couch with a bright light over my shoulder.  I like to work on a June Tailor, Cut and Press Mat....which I use basically as a lap board.  
4.  These samples utilize a technique called circular even count peyote stitch to trap the mirror circles, which are further decorated with the whim of the day!  There are lots of decorative stitches to explore in my DVD "Mary Stori Teaches You Beading On Fabric" or my introductory beading book, "Beading Basics".
5.  After embellishing, I cut the rectangle in half, along the basting line to create two pieces. The beaded one is the front, the other, the back.  Why didn't I just do this in the first place?? Because....I find it easier to bead on a larger piece of fabric.  Sometimes I bead the back section too if there is car racing on TV!
6. Then, I machine stitch the zipper to both top edges.  Next, the side and bottom seams are machine stitched with a scant 1/4" seam.  Since this is felt....there's no need to finish the edges, felted wool won't unravel.  Note:  I didn't remove the interfacing, I like to retain it to make the pouch sturdier.
7.  To complete the bag, I use the same rectangle measurements and make a lining using Batik fabric.  Turn the wool bag inside out, and secure the top opening of the lining to the zipper/wool seam allowance by hand or machine.

These make nice gifts.