Tuesday, May 25, 2021

WAKING FROM A LONG NAP

After appx. 14 years, health issues, relocations, and lack of enough places to host our monthly meetings has forced the Fiber Junkies to pause.  We hope from time to time we can still gather but for now we take great joy in the memories of the wonderful creative times we have spent together.

The itch to create with pals is great....fortunately several members of the Mountain Art Quilt group got together for an impromptu gelli printing day.
I've enjoyed working with this technique several times before...due to the generosity of equipment borrowed from Fiber Junkies members!  Happily a Christmas gift from our son/family brought me my own plates.  Lot's of Youtube viewing provided new insights and I dug in.
 A lot of time was saved by precutting fabric the appx. size of my plate. 
I learned long ago that in order to come away with usable fabric....I needed to work in a confined color palette ...otherwise I had lots of wonderful fabrics, but nothing that coordinated with each other.

Being as disciplined as this creative gal can be....the approach was pretty successful.
Other participants tried to be very purposeful too.....I loved this approach.......to create a printed cotton design that could then be paired with a sheer overlay.......twice the success!!!

How about these Jason Pollack inspired pieces (above and below)  Fabulous!!

As is typical we get so engrossed in our fiber play, taking photos is almost neglected.  So this is all I have to share, but trust me......everyone went away feeling very satisfied with their 'controlled' 'purposeful' pieces.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

I am so looking forward to a play day like this again. Making fabric is great fun and I will heed your advice and stick to a limited palette. Usually I'm all over the place--you are wise! Hope you can make something fun with your fabric!

Nancy said...

Gel printing is such fun. You are wise to stick with a palette. It's too easy to get swept up in the play and wind up with a lot of stuff.

Sherrie Spangler said...

That's sad that your group has to suspend meetings. I hope you can eventually get back together regularly.

The Inside Stori said...

Yes, Sherrie is is sad but we all knew this day was coming.....health issues, the 6 hr. relocation of a member, and lack of centralized appropriate meeting places all contributed. Like they say....all good things come to an end......however our nostalgic memories won't come to an end. In the meantime, the activties of our very engaged Mt. Art Quilt Group will keep our skills sharp!

Robbie said...

Love geli printing...need to get back to playing with paints, crayons, etc. Hope the playing starts. Love seeing what you have done! Looks like some good pieces!