Friday, May 7, 2021

TAKING PRECAUTIONS

One of the many perks that came my way while I was a full time instructor on the quilting highway, was the generosity of the many businesses that supported our industry.

20-25 years ago hand-dyed fabrics were rather new.....small companies popped up and were eager to share their products.  Now I work mostly with my own, but coming across two dozen bundles of gradations of a variety of colors in my stash perked my curiosity.  What could I do with them?

I realized from past experience that most of these fabrics probably had never been washed more than a casual rinsing, (not so much the case now with dyers).  

The project I had in mind was for a family member and would certainly require washing from time to time.  So before I began, I selected two colorways to test.

Sure enough, they bled like crazy......and I spent the rest of the day washing and pressing as many bundles as I expected to use.

You all know how time consuming that can be, especially when many were 6" squares.....  But it was necessary and so now...let the designing begin!



No comments: