Tuesday, August 11, 2020

MORNING FOG

I've been obsessed with a new project..... 
Jim Moore, a friend in our car club, often shares his mastery of photography which frequently features black bears. This photo really spoke to me because it so accurately depicts our typical summer mornings in Western NC. Photo used with permission.
I set out to see if I could duplicate the feel of the image through cloth.  After so much time away lately from hand work, it's feeling right to embrace it again.
The piece came together fairly quickly, with quite a bit of tedious fabric cutting, machine embroidery and quilting.  All of which I enjoyed!
With fusing and more stitching completed, I was ready to tackle the addition of FOG.

You may not be surprised to read that I experimented with lots of different approaches.  Finally, one technique gave promise.  Thinned acrylic paint was applied to the web side of a paper backed fusible adhesive.  After drying it was fused (using lots of caution) to the quilt top.  That was followed with a sheer fabric layer.  The paint helped to tone down the otherwise a little too transparent & shiny appearance of the sheer.  

BTW - I also tried painting directly onto the sheer, but wasn't able to get the look I wanted. Additionally, I left a few areas only lightly painted to better mimic how fog appears...it's dense but not in every area.

MORNING FOG  - 14.5" X 14.5"
Batik fabrics, machine stitched, altered sheer fabric, faced edges
Now available

6 comments:

Kathy said...

Perfect way to get that fog!

Sherrie Spangler said...

What a great idea for the fog!

Joan said...

Beautiful!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Wow - you nailed it! Fog is very difficult to portray but this method really worked.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Awesome! You've captured the feel of fog nicely.

Nancy said...

You achieved the look beautifully!