Friday, April 5, 2019

FROM PHOTO TO WALL ART


                     

I've been inspired by the photos of a long time friend, Doris Kramer-Sager, specifically those of Wisconsin sunsets.  After promising myself for ages, this week I set about translating one into a small art quilt.

 The first step was to dye-paint a piece of sheer fabric.....
 ......and pair it with an ice-dyed cotton sateen.  (photo not true color....it's reads more red, rather than pinkish.)
 A non-fusible interfacing square was basted to the two fabrics to act as a stabilizer.
 All the layers are now prepared for stitching....with a wide border to accommodate mounting on a frame.
 I don't draw so this step took quite awhile....but with pencil and eraser in hand, I sketched out three trees on tracing paper.  It was pinned to the prepared fabric to act as a guide for the machine stitching.
 It took me one complete Netflix movie to remove & pick out all the paper pieces!  This could have been avoided if the stitching was done from the wrong side, with the heavier embroidery thread in the bobbin.  However, my brain doesn't work that way...preferring to see the stitching on the right side as I work instead.  
Next it was wrapped on a canvas covered wood frame.  I like to finish the back of these pieces with fabric. Hand stitching it in place is a killer task on the fingers since there is no give to manipulate the needle.  But, I feel the polished appearance of the piece is worth it.

SHEBOYGAN SUNSET
8" X 8"
Artist ice-dyed cotton sateen with hand dye-painted sheer overlay.  Machine stitched. Prepared for hanging.



8 comments:

Ramona said...

Wow! Your depiction of the photograph is stunning. Great finish!

Linda M said...

Wow, love the colors and bare trees are one of my favorite things.

Norma Schlager said...

Such beautiful colors. You have captured that sunset perfectly.

Ann Scott said...

Gorgeous and beautifully finished!

Windy Hill Happenings said...

This is a beautiful piece and so nice to see all the steps..

Deb Thuman said...

The last time I did embroidery, put drew out the pattern, put a piece of water soluble stabilizer on top of the drawing, traced the drawing onto the water soluble stabilizer pinned that to the fabric, and stitched away, No picking paper out of stitches.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Be still my heart! You have tapped into a lot that I love - silhouetted trees against a gorgeous sunset - and surprised me with the way you went about executing this piece. Since when do you hand paint organza? - lol But my, it gave the perfect effect when layered over the ice dye, properly toning it down. Honestly, I'm with you when it comes to stitching from the back. I know it can solve a lot of issues but I just can't bring myself to work that way. But before you even mentioned it, I knew removing the paper you stitched through was going to be a tedious process, because I've been there!

Oh, this was so worth the effort and the wait!

The Inside Stori said...

Sheila,
Yup, some of us are just old dogs that can't learn new tricks.....but I did learn to dye-paint organza.....have actually done alot but have never really figured out a way to use it. Happy this piece found it's way into a piece!!!