Friday, April 12, 2019

EXPERIMENT FAILURE

A friend gave me a 3/4 yd. piece of what she thought was Ultra-suede. At first I thought it was velveteen....but after getting it home and examining it....I realized it was probably faux suede.
 Nice blue color...the purple is the result of light reflection from my camera.
 My in-laws spent a lot of time in Indonesia years ago - Father-in-law's duties were guiding the set up of graduate programs in their universities.  I got these metal batik printing plates from my MIL who used them as decor when they returned to the US and I have since done the same.
 I had the hare-brained idea to heat one up on my electric stove to emboss the fabric.
 What a stinky mess I made.  Clearly there was still some dye left on the stamps and yes it did melt the fibers but certainly not evenly...with blotches of whatever was loosened by the heat in the designs.
And now I have a mess on the stamp.....hoping I can get it off without too much work.  However, you should see my stove top.......geesh!!!

Time for plan B???

Linking to Nina-Marie's Off The Wall Friday and Sarah's Whoop Whoop Friday.

7 comments:

Jenny K. Lyon said...

Sigh, they do not all turn out! It was an interesting trial though.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Oh, heavens, I cannot imagine the work it is going to be to clean your stove!! LOL, live and learn!

The Idaho Beauty said...

I know very little about embossing but if memory serves, the instructions I read had you draping your fabric face down over the raised design and running an iron over it. (just checked a book on my shelf which says to spray with starch before covering with a pressing cloth and applying the iron) An easier way to control the heat I would think. As for stuff sticking to the plate and stuff coming off the plate, I wonder if the trick I learned for pressing rubber stamps into hot glue might work here as well - a liberal dusting of talcum powder over the plate.

Nancy said...

Oh, eeek! The fabric and stamp are one issue, but the stove cleanup- yuck. Hope it didn't damage the burner badly.

The Inside Stori said...

Mary replies..... no thank goodness my burner was okay......just too awhile to clean it! As for Sheila's helpful tips.....I've embossed numerous times and have always heated the item prior to placing on fabric......good suggestion to use an iron. I'm convinced the issue I had was the embedded dye.....which would have been an issue no matter what method I used given how intricate the pattern is. As they say....live and learn.

Robbie said...

And here I thought I'd be the only one who would try something like that!!! HA

Kathy said...

You are a braver woman than I! I probably would have started a fire to top it all off!