Sunday, March 17, 2019

SPRING IS COMING SOON

Our car club had an outing this weekend....early spring is perfect driving time here in the mountains of Western North Carolina.  Visibility is great as the trees are still bare and the tourists have not yet arrived.  The sports cars were all zipping along on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
 Heading on our last leg home....we came upon an amazing sight.  14 female elk wandered out of the Great Smoky Mountain National Forest and were loitering on Soco Road, about a mile West of Maggie Valley.  Majestic creatures...that totally stopped traffic on this two lane road.  


And then while on our afternoon 'forced march' on the steep roads in our development we spotted 'our' wild peach tree starting to bloom.  'The husband' has been pampering this volunteer tree for several years now.  Last summer it produced about a dozen small peaches....despite the severe ice storm that knocked off most of the blossoms.

Spring must be on the way.....

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Tra la, it's spring! Those elk are a traffic stopper for sure. How amazing. Glad you enjoyed the car outing.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Oh, I hope so!! My peach trees have some small blooms too, but the cherry is really in full flower. I think my azaleas may have frost damage again this year.

Robbie said...

The Elk are amazing! What a sight!!!! It does look like spring is around the corner!!!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Oh my - those elk are impressive! We have them in my neck of the woods too but they are not as sociable as the local moose. I just never see any. How exciting!

And a bit of pink bloom? A very welcome sight...

Norma Schlager said...

That’s some big group of moose. We don’t have them in CT, but I did see a few when we were in the Grand Canyon.
Love your little pink tree. Hope to see some spring when I get home from FL.