Wednesday, April 4, 2018

AN ITCH....

A month ago I experienced what I considered to be a complete failure of a little project. You can see my report here.  I'm a finisher, so it's rare for me to give up....and I thought I did!

Well, it got buried in a stack of 'stuff'....you know how that goes don't you??  Nearly forgotten.  However, like an itch that needs to be scratched, I couldn't quite leave it alone.


So I unearthed it, added a fabric backing and proceeded to outline the design with a narrow zig-zag stitch.  Next I mixed a clear drying gel and a thick matte medium and thickly covered the map paper/bike fabric to give it a faux encaustic appearance.

When researching this approach, suggestions were offered to add a bit of color (such as pale yellow) to better echo the look of bees wax.  Since I wanted to retain the colors as they were, I ignored that idea. 

This project taught me what not to do when combining such big pieces of paper and fabric....will I tackle another similar project?  Probably not, but it feels good not to have given up!

6 comments:

Kathy said...

So glad you went back to this one. It's so beautiful, I hated to see you call it a failure. Of course 'failure' only relates to your personal goals. Hope you are happier with it now. Put it in a frame--it's truly gorgeous!

Nancy said...

Not sure how, but I missed that first post. So glad you rescued this from the pile. I love the theme and the imagery. One thought- now that you have added the gel to the surface, might you "soften" the whole thing by adding and buffing a layer of wax (like MinWax or Derwent)? It might enhance the "wax" concept and generally soften things up. Maybe try a sample first- unless you really are moving on from it. But I really like it.

The Inside Stori said...

Nancy....that's an interesting and helpful suggestion......it's going to be shoved off on our son who lives in SF.....I thought he could use it as a placemat!!

Linda M said...

I'm so glad you worked on this again, it looks wonderful. I really like the idea of using a map, I have quite a collection so this is giving me some ideas.

Ann Scott said...

Bravo Mary, it looks great! The red outline - perfect and such a good idea to use the gel/medium for an encaustic appearance. Regarding your "placement" reply; It's too nice for that, IMO it should be framed but no glass!

The Idaho Beauty said...

I didn't even have to start reading to begin to smile. You are like me, stubborn and not willing to admit defeat but mostly wanting to try to understand your materials and how to make them succumb to your wishes, and then assessing the experience for whether it is worth doing again or not your cup of tea, extracting what if anything you've learned that can be used in the future. That red outlining is just the thing this needed. Most might think black (she says holding up her hand), but no - red is the thing. I find this so striking an idea, so worth taking up again to "fix". But totally understand why this will probably be a one off. Well done!