Friday, November 3, 2017

LOVE OF INDIGO

There are quilts that appear to have taken mere days to stitch up.....this is probably one of them. BUT....it's not.  Though I don't keep close track of the hours spent on a piece, this one may be closing in on 75 hours, and it has yet to be quilted.

Original art just takes time, especially when factoring the time spent transforming white fabric with stitched motifs and the whole process of indigo dyeing. I'm a slow cutter and deciding how to best utilize the precious/limited amount of indigo fabric is not something done quickly.  Additionally, in order to achieve the accuracy I demand of myself, I'm also a slow stitcher. Yet, all of these different tasks keeps me interested and engaged.


The color is a bit off in this photo.....the camera sure had trouble focusing on the line drawings as well!  The next step is obvious....making the quilt sandwich and machine quilting...oh ya....then there's the binding and the sleeve and the label.....time is ticking away.  There's actually no hurry, it will be hung at my NC Arboretum exhibit in April, 2018, that is unless it sells quickly from my online gallery shop!  

Visit these inspiring blogs to see what other artists have been working on this week.  Nina-Marie's Off The Wall Friday, Sarah's Whoop Whoop Friday, Crazy Mom Quilts.

10 comments:

Kathy said...

You have definitely gotten the best use out of that fabric for a very effective design. And the line drawings...perfection! You SHOULD be pretty proud of the job you've done on this one. I'm betting it might sell before the spring show because it is so gorgeous!

The Inside Stori said...

Thank you Kathy for your very kind words...means a lot coming from you......fingers crossed this piece finds a new home, otherwise I'd be tempted to keep it and (big sigh) that'd be silly as I have no place to display it!

Nancy said...

Very thoughtful use of the fabrics, and I love the stitched blocks, right down to the web! I chuckled at the list of tasks yet to accomplish. Every step of quiltmaking represents a good-size chunk of time, even binding. So I laugh when I say "I JUST have to quilt and bind it now." The finish line is a ways off! But this will be such a lovely piece. By the way, are you a fan of Downton Abbey? If so, come visit my blog if you get a chance. I got to see a wonderful exhibit called Dressing Downton and have some pics there. It started its tour in Asheville a couple of years ago- maybe you got to see it there?

Angela said...

That is one gorgeous quilt!

quiltedfabricart said...

And that’s why you are an artist and not just someone who makes quilts. You have achieved a really good balance with the indigo prints and I know that’ s not easy. I can’t see the stitching from the photo but I know it’s good. Using just the one color thread was the right move as well. Your patience will pay off in the end.

Robbie said...

Mary, this is one beautiful piece!!!! Really beautiful! Can't wait to see how the quilting enhances it.

Linda Swanekamp said...

In the last month, a friend twisted my arm and brought an indigo kit over so we dyed fabric. Now, I have all these random pieces. I like your design. I was thinking of cutting circles and piecing them into a background. Your dyed fabric is beautiful. Thanks for showing. Don't even think about speed- it is a process not a race.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Stunning. The piece glows. Well worth the effort of working out how best to use the indigo.

The Idaho Beauty said...

You're getting better and better. This is so cool!

The Joyful Quilter said...

It's SEW pretty!! My quilt group has done dyeing, but never indigo. One of these days...