Wednesday, October 19, 2016

SMALL FELT BASKET

Time limitations this week will allow only short periods in the studio.  But I did manage to create a small felt basket.  It's made using two layers of National Nonwoven's Woolfelt.
I'd been researching different methods of paper folding that might adapt to thicker fiber.  Okay, I'll admit.....this simple looking pattern took hours to create, even after finding a tiny similar diagram.  In part, math and this kind of concept is out of my wheel house.....
I began by fusing two colors of Woolfelt together.
The freezer paper pattern was pressed to the unit, cut out and a jeans stitch was sewn around the outside edges.
Next, a grid makes the base firmer.
Finally, a simple decorative stitch was added to each side. 
"The husband" suggested I make a couple of these for the many, many cheater glasses I have spread all over our house.
I can't wait to make more.....

2 comments:

Kathy said...

This is so absolutely clever! Always hard to tell from pictures, but how large is it? Is it 'carry a bunch of apples' sturdy or 'carry 27 pairs of cheater glasses' sturdy? I saw this post and the next one at the same time, so I can totally understand why you would lose sleep to make more of these. It's worth it to explore a new idea and this one looks like a real winner! Go, wonder woman, go!!!

The Inside Stori said...

It's Mary here.....to answer Kathy's question.....the baskets are fairly lightweight and measure appx. 7" long x 5" wide and 4" tall. Perfect for 27 pairs of cheater glasses.