On our recent 3 day retreat, we again attempted eco-dyeing/printing with plant material, steeped in various types of wood chips. They were gifted to me by talented blogger friend Robbie....see her work here. http://robbiespawprints.blogspot.com
Another good fiber friend in Arizona passed along a couple of yummy yards of fabric.....several being silk.
After our first failure with this method, I spent hours and hours again studying different approaches to natural dyeing. We decided this time to use an Alum mordant for the fabric AND the leaves.
Next, we added our prepared fabric that had been rolled onto wood dowels. Finally, we added boiling water and covered the containers with black plastic and let steep in the hot South Carolina heat for 24 hrs.
Well, dang......we opened one of the rolls and this is what mine looked like after all that effort!!
We don't give up easily.....next we moved the contents of the container into a shallow metal pan and simmered it for about 4 hours.By now I had my hopes up.....but most of mine still had barely any color....so I took all of mine apart and acid dyed them. So there!!! I will share that experience in another post. Here are several of Kate's and Judy's organzia fabrics where pale color from the wood chips is visible. If there is any impression of a leaf, it's merely a resist....the spots you see on the lower piece were created by blueberries that Kate added in her fabric roll.
More to come as I go through my photos....I was a picture taking fool on this trip!