Monday, March 7, 2016

UNIQUE COLOR COMBO

While visiting a relative recently, I was struck by their very unusual home decor color combination.  Black, plum, with touches of lime green and white.  

I KNOW, I KNOW.....it doesn't sound like it would work, except perhaps for only the more quirky and adventuresome.   
 However, I couldn't get that look out of my head.....which found me pulling those colors from my stash and grabbing my rotary cutter.

To best utilize the fabrics on hand, black strips were cut 3.5" wide...then subcut as needed into a variety of lengths.  Colorful purples and greens were cut to measure 3.5"  x 1".
Though it may be uncommon to layout such a simple design on a design wall, I prefer this method as it helps to eliminate fabric waste because I basically cut only what I need. Though I have a bin or two of small scraps, I've yet to feel motivated to organize or utilize them....and probably never will!  This isn't a terribly time efficient method either, but it works for me. 

It's also a great way to ensure seams are staggered which makes for easy piecing. The first 7 vertical rows have already been pieced....now I'll go back and arrange the remaining narrow colorful strips before heading back to the sewing machine. 

 I've used this identical approach on several other quilts of various sizes....see more examples below.
 Big Red  43" x 53"
 CWS's Birthday Quilt  68.5" 51.5"

Dashes  33" x 35"



6 comments:

Nancy said...

I LIKE the color combination! I can see how the design wall also lets you get a good balance of the small slices of color distributed throughout. Very nice.

Kathy said...

Love that layout and the color combination is very nice. I was also struck by the Dashes quilt that had more white. Can't ever go wrong with balck and white, can we?

The Inside Stori said...

The best thing in my opinion about Dashes is that it was sold and now lives in Japan!!
This is such an easy approach that is a great choice to make up as a scrap quilt.

Robbie said...

This is a cool piece...I like the colors together! Pretty cool! Did you book that plane ticket yet! HA

The Idaho Beauty said...

This current one may be the best of the lot. Do love this pattern!

margaret said...

the colours work so well very classy I like dashes and think maybe I will have to have a go at this myself