Sunday, August 23, 2015

TONING DOWN THE COLOR

Work continues on the Oregon theme wedding wall quilt for my nephew.  He and his soon to be bride enjoy many outdoor activities in their Portland, OR surroundings.....hopefully, this quilt will bring a little of those memories into their new home.

Though I thought I was nearly finished.....I keep tweaking the design....trying to add interesting little details without detracting from the main elements.

So I found myself cutting and attaching tiny ferns along one side of the river.  After viewing them (without the pins holding each piece), it was apparent the color needed to be toned down a bit.  Dang....

What to do?!?  The pieces are already ON the quilt so whatever I do can't migrate to the background.  After a bit of pondering, out came a pad of Distress Ink. Using a Q-tip.....I carefully and very lightly went over the offending ferns.  Of course it would have been smarter of me to make that adjustment prior to attaching the pieces to the quilt.....however, sometimes you can't see the forest through the trees until you are right there!

I'll be somewhat absent again for a week+ as I head to CA to be Grandma!!  (Unless I can figure out how to blog from my older ipad........but then you'll be bombarded with pictures of the most adorable 3 year old ever!!!)  Back before you even can miss me!!

6 comments:

Kathy said...

Grandchild time.....just the best. Enjoy every moment!

Nancy said...

Clever solution! Enjoy your time away.

Unknown said...

Nice save with the distress ink. Enjoy your trip to CA for Grandma time!

Robbie said...

Have a great time!!!

margaret said...

the ferns look good, have fun with the grandchild

The Idaho Beauty said...

Geez - palm slapping forehead again! I have several stamp pads but never thought of using them when I needed a small toning of a fabric. You know - they are STAMP pads so of course you can only use them with stamps. And I can see I need to move some q-tips into the studio... ;-)