Saturday, November 15, 2014


Overall, I'm very happy with my soy wax resist & dyed results which was the subject of the Fiber Junkies meeting this month.  The last step is to remove the wax resist...which should reveal the original fabric color.  

A LOT of time was spent pressing each piece between newpaper with a hot iron to melt/remove as much wax as possible.  That was followed by several hot water baths to remove any reside.

I'm not convinced I got it all out since the silk noil pieces (the majority of the fiber I used) are still a bit stiffer than I'd like.....however they are still very usable. 

 This is the only one that was not silk noil.  For this base I used hand-dyed rayon or possible silk....not sure of the fiber content after it sat for years in my stash!  This piece is quite drapable....vibrant in color and should be fun to work with.

 Right side
 Wrong side......I like them both!
Do grab some friends and organize a small group...then make monthly play dates and experiment!!!

**** After several comments and a question or two on yesterday's post, I thought I'd add a reply here:  

Soy wax melts at a lower temperature (safer I suppose) and it's also supposed to be easier to remove.  I worked mostly on silk noil......which I suspect rendered less effective images due to its natural texture.  Though the results are fine......I'm not sure I'd bother again.....unless I did some big pieces.  I LOVE our FJ's experiments, yet with so many different small finished pieces of fabric ......they can be difficult to incorporate into projects.  Perhaps that's the challenge that keeps me going!


Nancy said...

These turned out beautifully. Labor intensive though with all the ironing! Yup- I like the image created by the potato masher best. The small pieces may pile up, but if you're like me and want to do "it all", this is the ticket for sure.

The Idaho Beauty said...

This has been on my to do list for years - even bought wax & saved instructions from a magazine but yet to actually DO IT. Maybe what holds me back is thinking I must work big rather than just experiment with smaller pieces. Having learned traditional batik with beeswsx in college & remembering how tedious the wax removal process was (and still requiring a trip to the dry cleaners), the promised ease of removal with soy wax is very enticing. So your experience surprises me a bit. Lovely results though.

The Inside Stori said...

Again.........the trouble I had removing hue wax may be related to the bumpy surface of silk nook. So don't let this deter anyone.

margaret said...

very successful these have been. I have a tub if batik cold wax, never opened of course but must see if there are instructions on line about what you do with it. Came across it yesterday whilst searching for my hot blower that my daughter wants to borrow.