Tuesday, November 25, 2014

JUST NEEDLE AND THREAD

At a recent Fiber Junkies meeting we played with house paint and other acrylic fabric paints.  

The goal was to transform previously quilted pieces with a new look.  But we never stick to the original theme. So, when  Judy shared a plain piece of canvas with me, this was the result.  The background is house paint and the foreground is acrylic.
 I'm always so content to have numerous evening hand stitching projects lined up.  My plan is to cover the background with simple stitches using two strands of regular DMC embroidery floss.
 After more and more and more hours.....not a complaint, but even I didn't realize this would be quite so time consuming.

Like many of you.....Thanksgiving is a busy week.....I may pop in from time to time to chat....but mostly, I will be enjoying family time.

Happy Turkey Day to all.......

6 comments:

Norma Schlager said...

Are you having difficulty stitching through the paint? An ambitious project, but it's going to look great.

Kathy said...

Isn't the paint difficult to stitch through? I recently did just a tiny bit on a painted leaf and my fingers were very sore! Looking good with all that stitching, though.

The Inside Stori said...

In answer to the question whether the painted surface was difficult to needle......surprisingly not. We diluted the house paint quite a bit and it was spread very lightly. The canvas thankfully is not very tightly woven.

Robbie said...

The hand stitching is a wonderful addition to this cool piece!!! Happy Turkey time!

margaret said...

Kathy above took the words out of my mouth I too am wondering about stitching on these surfaces, having used acrylic paint with a medium added it still was pretty stiff

Nancy said...

Well you answered both of my questions- was also wondering if the paint and canvas were a challenge to sew through. This will be wonderful. I'm like you, I frequently underestimate the amount of time a piece will take. That's one reason I gave up cross-stich. I'd see a project and think, oh that won't take long. Six months later I'd wonder why I started it!