Overall, I'm very happy with my soy wax resist & dyed results which was the subject of the Fiber Junkies meeting this month. The last step is to remove the wax resist...which should reveal the original fabric color.
A LOT of time was spent pressing each piece between newpaper with a hot iron to melt/remove as much wax as possible. That was followed by several hot water baths to remove any reside.
I'm not convinced I got it all out since the silk noil pieces (the majority of the fiber I used) are still a bit stiffer than I'd like.....however they are still very usable.
This is the only one that was not silk noil. For this base I used hand-dyed rayon or possible silk....not sure of the fiber content after it sat for years in my stash! This piece is quite drapable....vibrant in color and should be fun to work with.
Wrong side......I like them both!Do grab some friends and organize a small group...then make monthly play dates and experiment!!!
**** After several comments and a question or two on yesterday's post, I thought I'd add a reply here:
Soy wax melts at a lower temperature (safer I suppose) and it's also supposed to be easier to remove. I worked mostly on silk noil......which I suspect rendered less effective images due to its natural texture. Though the results are fine......I'm not sure I'd bother again.....unless I did some big pieces. I LOVE our FJ's experiments, yet with so many different small finished pieces of fabric ......they can be difficult to incorporate into projects. Perhaps that's the challenge that keeps me going!