The marbled fabric project I blogged about the other day was not only calling me....it was screaming for attention.Despite gathering my supplies, when it came down to it, the Delica beads I planned on using to attach the agate (with the even count peyote stitch) just weren't the right colors.
What to do?? This agate slice is especially thick, with more than normal uneven edges. You can see by the photo above how unattractive that edge is.
So I tried a new method. Stacks of regular seed beads, with one lime Delica bead on each were stitched around the agate.
Next, I added a bead between each lime bead, pulling the thread tension tight to help encase the embellishment.
BUT.....I wasn't keen about the appearance...a bit uninteresting in my opinion.So, I threaded up my needle again and added an additional lime bead on top of every other Delica bead.....giving it the appearance of the peyote stitch...well one row of the peyote stitch......
Now I'll be pondering what comes next. Most often an embellishment this large is added towards the end of the project, but because the marbled fabric was so busy, I needed to get this focal point in place before I moved to smaller bead and hand embroidery motifs.