Friday, October 26, 2012


Due to a bad sore planned activity yesterday was postponed...instead I sat like a slug and did handwork most of the day.

 As you may recall from previous posts, I decided to bind this quilt instead of using a facing due to concerns about the unevenness of where the leaves met the edges.  The background fabric was my own deconstructed screen printing.....of which I used nearly every inch.  Nothing in my stash in that color range worked so I decided to use a muted gray/black print for the binding....thinking it'd 'frame' the design nicely.

Artist deconstructed screen printed cotton, commercial black/white fabrics, hand appliqued, machine quilted, & bead embellished.

 Actually, once it was in place, I felt the look was a little too strong. So, although I hadn't planned to bead the edge, (yet that thought is never far from my mind)....soon the beads were back out and my afternoon disappeared between sniffling and beading.

I think the addition of diagonally placed graphite beads worked to tie the entire piece together.  Click on photo to enlarge.


Robbie said...

I love, love the beaded edge!!! It does tie the entire piece!!! How clever!!!! Beautiful!

Lisa Broberg Quintana said...

The beaded edge really added a lot.

quilthexle said...

Hope you're feeling better ;-)) You did a great job on this quilt - the beaded edge adds a nice finishing touch to it.

Nina Marie said...

Nothing like hand work for gettin' ya through an off day! This is so lovely - love the use of the beading - clever! but I really love the background - I really need to use my screens more often!

Vera said...

It is lovely with the beaded edge!

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful quilt. I'm glad I clicked to enlarge it as before I had read any of the other comments I didn't see the beads. Lovely!