Monday, November 20, 2017

TRY, TRY AGAIN

Well heck, I've been trying to incorporate some interesting digital prints into a new piece.  This is probably my 4th attempt. And darn it, those pictures just do not want to play nice.
 I've had this eco-printed hunk of silk noil sitting out tempting me ever since it was created several months ago. 
 The companion piece is this lighter cotton which acted as the carrier cloth.  It had been dipped in blue dye, placed on top of the leaf material that was arranged on the silk noil.  The pieces were rolled onto a wood dowel and processed in a simmering vinegar/water bath for about 2 hrs. Notice how the blue dye transferred onto the silk noil...cool! 

Happily several pieces rust/spices/vinegar-dyed silk noil created way back in 2015 were lurking in my stash.  
 The auditioning begins......and instantly it became apparent....nope those photos are not working!
 Okay....onward, those pesky digital photos will continue to linger.  That's okay, I've been enjoying creating what I call 'hodgepodge' patchwork.  The goal is always to utilize as much of my dyed/printed fabric as possible.  Leaving little or no small scrap leftovers which probably won't coordinate with a future project.
There's a lot of trial and error as the pieces are arranged...obviously with an eye to creating a pleasing design, interesting visual impact, and color balance that allows the eye to travel around the piece for the viewer to enjoy it in its entirety


Check back to see the final layout, won't you?? 

5 comments:

Robbie said...

Photos working or not...this is going to be beautiful! I love this new design you are doing with your fabrics! Really, really nice, Mary!!

Kathy said...

Wonderful pieces with which to play. Looking forward to seeing the final arrangement!

Linda M said...

I really like your hodgepodge approach to design a quilt.

Ann Scott said...

Yes, I look forward to seeing where these pieces lead you! Your leaf fabrics are beautiful. Had you thought about adding color to the edges of the photo prints?

The Inside Stori said...

Ann had a good suggestion and that's actually where I would have been headed if I thought at all that the photos coordinated with the design. I've done a few others in this style and used narrow sashing around the photos...which seemed to work out well....but not in this case. The good news is....they are all printed out, ready for future project!