Tuesday, May 28, 2024

FINALLY HANGING DECOR

Moving required so many necessary tasks that it's taken awhile before we could get to what I consider the fun stuff.  For instance, insurance, auto registration, CA driver's license, all new doctors....(still working down that list), simple things like towel bars and hooks, paper towel holders and on and on.....  

All the wall decor has now been unwrapped.....most is still piled on the floor or dining table...but progress is being made.....making it more and more 'our' house.  

This may be of zero interest to you, but as a kinda diary of this monumental change in our lives.....I'm documenting some of it....delete now or take a gander....

Our small laundry room was a challenge since no cupboards come with new houses here.  (Weird?!?) Well, not strange because the quote to match what we have in our kitchen....came to over $8,000.  So instead, I purchased a school locker for mops, elec. broom etc. (had it painted blue)....then hung some other vintage pieces.  I have a wooden wall mounted drying rack that will finish off this room when I can get 'the husband' to hang it.   Having ceilings 10' tall is kinda a challenge for decorating.  Everything looks so skimpy!
This entry hall is really the second section of the front entrance and is big....really big.  My antique pie safe is dwarfed in the space.  Directly across the room I'll hang a quilt, but need to hire someone to do it.  The wall is 10' tall and 122" wide.  Quilt is 72" x 90" long!  I love the spacious feel of this house but good grief why would they have such inaccessible areas in a 55+ community where none of us should be on ladders!!!
This vintage corner cupboard was made by 'the husband's great grandfather....we believe it was made either in Denmark or Wisconsin.  Unfortunately, the guest room has the only corner in this entire house that will accommodate it.  One of my pieces from Woolworth's has now been hung, though I'm hoping to sell it.  But first, I need to dig out more quilts to find one to better coordinate with the room.

In an alcove in that guest room, I've hung some family memorabilia.....really old photos of the Stori Concert Hall and the Menomonie House (the family's boarding house & hotel).  But the  real treasure is 'the husband's' father's Athletic Hall of Fame certificate from UW Stout.

As is often the case.....our power room has no windows.  To make the space feel less closed in, I hung a bunch of crackled painted mirrors that I'd made for our previous home's man cave bathroom.  They work well here too, but perhaps I'll be on the lookout for more old mirrors to transform.

More to come in the future if you can stand it.....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can hope that it's all beginning to feel more and more like "your" home as you get things put in place! ❤️

Robbie said...

Lobe seeing any old memorabilia! House is becoming your home!!

Kathy said...

Glad you are finally able to start really making your house a home with all your personal mementos. New adventures every day...keeps our brains working even when the rest of our bodies are slowing down. Have fun with it!

Nancy said...

Oh, such nice touches to make your new home "home". The corner hutch is a beautiful piece, and I like the hints of brown in the quilt that hung at Woolworth. It makes a great accent. It's all looking so good and personal. Progress for sure! And I love the crackle mirrors. Perfect for a windowless room. Well done!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Fun that you are finally able to begin making your new house into your home.

dgs said...

Your new home is coming together and looking very inviting.