Sunday, December 31, 2023

RINGING IN 2024

2024!?!  How did we get here so fast?  Wishing all you faithful followers the very best in the coming year.

This is the time when many folks take stock of their lives, and perhaps begin anew.  Well.....since we are already in the 4th quarter of our lives, we are making a HUGE change.  Believe me I didn't see this coming!!  

When we moved from our custom 'dream Wisconsin retirement home' over looking the Sugar River in 2000, I was stunned.  I never thought I'd leave Wisconsin.




In 2006 we headed to a new log-sided home in the mountains outside of Asheville, NC.

Somewhat later we remodeled the exterior to reduce maintenance.....as well as areas of the interior.

Now 18 years later.....we find the 3 story house is bigger than we need, the 2+ acre property is definitely too much to maintain.  Between us there were 5 surgeries in 2023 and we realized (pointed out by our very caring son), we need to be closer to family.  I've been fighting the idea as I love it here, and love all my fiber buddies who I will miss terribly.....but onward is now the motto.

We are heading WEST.......I'll have a beautiful new kitchen to cook in.  We haven't had less than an acre between us and neighbors in 43 years.  This is a 55+ community.....it's a bit of a mice maze.  (sigh) Fortunately, we found a corner home....which gives us a small buffer.  The huge bonus is not being 3,000 miles away from our son/family and having lots of time to spend with our grandson's (before they want nothing to do with adults.)

So with a heavy heart, this spring we will say goodbye to this beautiful area and hello to no more winters!!  Obviously we are downsizing, so I will be looking for new homes for my art quilts.  If you see anything that tugs at your heart on my online gallery, https://marystorishop.blogspot.com/ give me a shout.....I'll cover the shipping and some items are negotiable.    

Please stay tuned for updates.....and it wouldn't be my post on football Sunday without saying.....
GO PACK GO!!!!!  





 

4 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

Oh no!!! Life sure does throw us curveballs, doesn't it? But you'll meet new quilt friends, and since it's a 55+ community there will be oodles of activities to keep you busy, and then there's your family. And it's best to make the move now before you get old and creaky! Keep us posted as the move gets closer. Hugs.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You have lived in the midwest and east coast and now your new area. You have covered the US from coast to coast. I'm still 25 miles from where I was born, 51 1/2 years in the same house. I'm glad I got to meet you when you were closer to me.
Happy New Year and hopefully no more surgeries!!

Nancy said...

Oh my goodness! This is huge. Well it's a lot to look forward to, but also some things to feel the loss about. Rural to dense population is one of the biggies, in my thinking anyway. Are you familiar with the area you'll be moving to? I sure see the wisdom in your decisions. When it's time, it's time. I'm speaking to myself as much as to you! As you know, we are in similar circumstances with a good-size farm and some animals to care for. Well keep us posted- I'm sure I'll learn from your experiences. Happy New Year!

dgs said...

Somehow I had missed this post, but after spotting posts you were moving West I tracked this down. Congratulations. We have several friends who live in 55+ communities in the Roseville area, including "Harry Foot", a previous mayor of Roseville and they all love it. I hope you plan on attending the CA State Fair in Sacramento (great quilt/art exhibit halls and more), Tahoe and other places to explore in your new area. I think you will love it!