Saturday, March 20, 2021

STUDIO

I've had my nose to the grindstone......or should I say my beading frame as I work hard on a commission.  Because a knee replacement is hanging over my head, my focus now is to finish this new piece. (Though I'm hoping that won't be necessary, as I'd be a terrible patient....due to my impatience!)

So with no public projects I can share, I decided to share some of my studio storage ideas.

Beads and more beads.....stored in dozens of plastic compartment containers.
Plastic covered containers hold my felting supplies.  

This vintage library card file with its individual drawers serves as my  thread storage.
I've collected old wooden boxes forever. Here's just one of many with divided spaces that works well for a vareity of items.
I'm also fond of antique ladders...and have several in my studio....baskets contain the items and hide the mess.
This large oak dental cabinet is where I store fusibles, interfacing, stencils etc.
An old knife block has been recycled to hold scissors.

How do you store your sewing supplies?

4 comments:

Robbie said...

OK, too tidy for me! HA HA Looks like a wonderful way to keep your special beads and other textiles in place! Thanks for sharing...hope your replacement is a ways off...I've elected to just "be stoic" and "compensate" (words from my surgeon) for my rotator replacement...has to do reverse replacement vs total replacement...no rotator cuff left to attach to!

mebaker said...

Thank you for sharing your work storage and space. I love your work and it's fun to see how you are organized as well. mbbaker35@yahoo.com

The Idaho Beauty said...

I have an antique icebox that I originally used to store towels in when we lived in an older home with a small bathroom with no storage. It sat just outside the door in a little nook. Once we moved to houses with standard linen storage, I moved the ice box into the sewing room and have stored batting in it ever since. Otherwise, my storage solutions are pretty mundane - many types and sizes of plastic bins and drawer sets, and a few baskets here and there. I remember what a treat it was to purchase an actual thread storage carrier, plastic and two sided, meaning you could open a lid on either side so spools would always be in a single layer when you searched for just the right one. I have one bought earlier by my husband that theoretically could be attached to the wall, but even without thread in it, it is a very heavy thing made out of wood and laminate and I can't imagine what it would take to secure it in place. It looks a bit like a cabinet, but when you open it up, there are spool holders on both sides that rotate out so you can remove a spool and snap back in place to keep the spools on their spindles in place. I love that one too. But I have to say, I'm just a little envious of your card catalog!

Nancy said...

You found some unique storage pieces- love the card catalog for thread. I store things in a manner which allows them to escape all over the place! Truly, keeping things somewhat organized and taming the chaos is an ongoing task. My hand label maker is a help.