Wednesday, February 5, 2020

BLACK AND WHITE

The 12 annual retreat for the PTA (Professional Textile Artists) is approaching.  We are a small fiber group, numbering 14.  Ten of us will again be gathering for 3 days at Lake Logan in the mountains of Western NC.

Which of course brings me to the task of coming up with an EASY project to work on.  There's far too much giggling, food and beverage consumption, flash exercise requirements, chatting, and oh ya....checking out what everyone else is making.  For me that means coming with a plan and having all my pieces cut ahead of time because I'm easily distracted!
I pulled out a big bin of black and white fabric and after studying it I realized there are mostly darker shades, very few lights.  Many smaller light pieces had already been cut for a previous project and soon they jumped onto my design wall.
However, after previewing them for awhile, I decided to reduce the width, preferring a longer more narrow background.  Which of course threw off my careful arrangement.
 I didn't mean to actually make a top.....but knowing this piece wasn't big enough of a project for retreat, I found myself stitching the patches together right then and there.  It will probably remain in this state until I get my real retreat project organized.

So, back to the bin and more head scratching. As usual, I'm determined to use fabrics I already own and create my own design which of course is a fun challenge.  Stay tuned..... 

6 comments:

Nancy said...

All the pieces for projects AND practically your entire sewing room has to go to retreat- so you are wise to have a plan. Sometimes, in the middle of packing up, I ask myself why I do this. And then, once at retreat, am so glad I did. But it's a lot of work. Three days, no outside distractions is the payoff.

Kathy said...

How about a time-consuming handwork project? So easy to stop and chat and exercise and have a sip of wine and very hard to lose your place. And the suggestion comes because that's what I'm thinking of doing for my upcoming retreat in April!

The Inside Stori said...

Thank you Kathy for your suggestion which is a good one but unfortunately not suitable for the facilities we use and MY AGE! The lighting (even with a task light) and especially the chairs aren't a good fit for handwork. Mindless sewing of 1/4" seams is more my style.....a plan is coming together....

Robbie said...

Geez! You are productive!!!! This wouldn't be big enough for the retreat! Yikes! What size are you planning on making or working on at the retreat? I'd be taking hand work or beading!!! That's a good excuse to get back to your first love, right!!!! Your beading was/is always beautiful!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I do the same for retreat, having all the cutting done ahead saves time and I get so much more done than I think I can do!

The Inside Stori said...

You are a wiz Carole.....I rarely get what I planned to do completed....I blame that on our wild group......more play, less work.