Friday, November 1, 2019

MICROWAVE ICE DYEING

The Fiber Junkies began about 12 years with one simple notion that I had.....to create a group made up of 6 like-minded fiber friends who would be willing to meet monthly to explore as many surface design/dyeing/printing/painting etc. techniques we could find to play with.

Though microwave dyeing with dye solutions isn't new to us and we had dabbled with microwave ice-dyeing one other time several years ago....this month we hit the jackpot.  Everyone went home with successfully dyed fabrics. 

The big difference was thanks to Denny.  She spent lots of time doing a series of experiments to come up with a reliable formula.  We've been missing Denny at our meetings for months as she recovers from a back fusion.  Wisely she's allowing her body to heal by keeping fairly inactive.  So 4 of us Asheville area members traveled to Simpsonville, SC where Kate and Denny live. Denny, seen here, is taking a well deserved rest after getting us started.
 Kate had everything all set up in her garage, including a new small microwave provided by Denny.  First we soaked our fabric in soda ash.  I concentrated on working with one of my favorite fabrics, silk noil.  Here a small piece has been rung out and loosely placed in a quart size 'Dollar Store' plastic container.  Of course fabric can be positioned more deliberately, but I was aiming for mottled all over results.
 Crushed ice is sprinkled evenly over the fabric, topped with small amounts of Procion MX powdered dye.  (Yes, we wore masks and rubber gloves!)  Denny found that plastic cling wrap worked better to retain the heat than the lids that came with the storage bowls so that's what we used.
To create a shorter processing time and prevent damage to the fabric or plastic bowls, Denny suggested we use finely crushed ice.  This is a lower watt microwave as the small size would indicate, so the timer was set for 4-5 mins. depending upon how much fabric and ice was in the container.

In a very short time we were hanging fabrics on the line to dry!!
 Here are some of my results.....this was simply scrunched into the container.
 This piece was bunched up in the center, held in place with my fingers while swirling the outside edges around inside the container.  I was pleased how that method provided movement to the pattern.
 I placed these two pieces together in one container and was surprised how evenly they dyed.

One last example......honestly I can't wait to do this again.  Obviously if the goal is to work with large fabric pieces, pan ice-dyeing would still be the way to go, but for immediate gratification with smaller sizes.....oh my....this is it!!!!

Many thanks to everyone for making it such a great day, special kudos to Denny we all loved seeing you again!!

Check out these blogs for inspiration this week:  Nina-Marie's Off The Wall Friday and Sarah's Whoop Whoop Friday.

14 comments:

Kathy said...

Can't wait to try it myself now, after seeing posts from both you and Judi. Small batch, immediate gratification...who could ask for more!!!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Lovely results for your fun group. Thanks for sharing the method.

Ramona said...

I'm looking forward to seeing what you create with these gorgeous fabrics! How fun that you meet with your like minded friends monthly. :)

Linda M said...

I've never tried it in the microwave! But then I tend to do larger pieces so it's probably best that I don't. You got great results!

Angela said...

Gorgeous fabrics! I am still longing to have a group like you have. Finding the time to create it just hasn't happened.

Nancy said...

Now this looks like fun with minimal mess. Your colors are quite intense, too. The microwave is one Denny uses only for crafting then? Another fun fiber day!

The Inside Stori said...

YES......the microwave is solely used for crafting.....as our any utensils.

Norma Schlager said...

This looks like a great project with wonderful results. I have an old microwave in the basement that I can try this with. How small were your pieces?

The Inside Stori said...

Mary here.......My pieces measured about 18” x 22” and several times I did two at the same time in one bowl.

Robbie said...

That last piece is amazing...they are all great...but something about that piece just caught my eye!!! Nicely done!!! Haven't tried using the microwave..but something to think about for sure!!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Oh Mary, I'm in. You have captured the leaves in yard. Scrumptious autumnal colors.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

What a great day, your fabrics turned out wonderfully.

Mary Jane Lappin said...

Hi Mary-I have a question about your comment that you dyed two pieces of fabric in the same bowl. I am wondering if you actually had them together...back to back, so to speak...so the dye filtered through the fabrics in the same pattern?? Guess I will just have to try doing this. Thanks, MaryJane Lappin

The Inside Stori said...

Mary Jane.....each piece was placed separately in the bowl....they were rather small so they fit....I made no attempt to arrange other than scrunching them into the bowl.