It sure has been awhile since my last post......I haven't been idle! Actually, time flew by as I enjoyed our 7th Annual Girlfriend Art Camp at a friend's home in AZ.
My two buddies had never eco-printed so with instructions sent ahead of time, Nan got an iron/rust pot started. Basically one soaks metal objects in a solution of vinegar and water for a week or so. It's used in eco-printing when a darker image is desired.
I brought a bunch of dyed wool fabric samples to print on. Instead of using square cedar shake shingles as presses to hold our fabric/leaf layers, we had to substitute long narrow wood shims. We used two on the bottom and two on the top.....challenging since they were uneven in depth.
Here's one of the layers....instead of dipping the leaves or fabric in the rust water, these layers were spritzed with a vinegar and water solution which also helps to develop definition of the prints.
The size of the shims required two people to wrap with string....here Sue and Nan are securing one batch.When possible we secured with binder clips in addition to the string. We also used shrink wrap which provides a tighter bond when it simmers in the vinegar/water bath.
Here's a look at some of my prints. Nan had some rusted nails and stars that were fun to use as well.
I'm totally in love with silk noil and have been using it for ages in garments and wall art. You can see by the horizontal lines that this narrow piece was accordion folded to fit between the shims. The fabric was dipped in the rust water prior to adding leaves and folding.
We didn't stop with just eco-printing....come back to see what else we did.....