Thursday, December 14, 2017

HAND DYED FABRICS CALLING

Well...I'm still pondering over a piece of ice dyed silk noil that has been calling me.....but not loudly enough for me to know what the heck I'm going to do with it.

So as I was digging in my stash I came across a bunch of hand-dyed fabrics that I've been meaning to 'do something with'.  I can see you all nodding your heads....you know exactly what I mean, don't you?

As I've mentioned way too many times....patchwork is my least favorite part of the construction process of quiltmaking.  And the older I get, the more indecisive and inaccurate I've become.  So I've adapted a method that works for me......you fast patchwork quilters will cringe at the amount of time I waste....but believe me if I didn't plot this out (even as simple as this design is) I'd end up wasting far more time with constant ripping and resewing!

So as you can see....I sewed a few test blocks....just to confirm the direction I want this piece to go....then selected and cut the rest of the components, even going so far as to audition the placement of each block.

And...yup, I admit I don't chain piece.....instead I do one block at a time.....yes there is a lot of jumping back and forth from the cutting table, sewing machine, iron, etc...but heck it works for me.

I'll be like a jumping jack for awhile and hope to post the finished piece soon.  Okay who will admit they also work like this???





4 comments:

Kathy said...

Nope--no way! You always end up with beautiful results, but my process would drive you nuts! I make lots of random units and THEN play on the design wall. My blocks aren't even usually the same size like yours are. Can't wait to see the finish on this one--love it!

Robbie said...

I'm liking the way this is turning out! As far as my process...who knows! I change from time to time! HA

Ann Scott said...

Oh, those hand dyes, in such yummy colors! It's going to be wonderful. I'll admit if ever I sew units, I do the up and down, back and forth method too...it's good exercise!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Indeed, I sometimes do. Any time I've tried the more random method, I've been unhappy with the results. You stick to your guns, Mary! Besides, all that up and down is good aerobics in my book. :-)