Currently my focus is directed toward a challenging project.....I like challenges!
With some hesitation during a dye session with my two pals Judy & Kate, I halved a vintage laced edged line table runner and ice-dyed it. The challenges of creating wall art pieces were the flimsy nature of the fabric, construction issues because 3 of the 4 sides are 'finished', and the high intensity of the ice-dyed designs.
First I tackled the brownish half which resulted in: Lunaira Annual 21" x 27.5"
I'm currently working on the 2nd half. It reminded me of a stormy day....yet there was so much contrast between the light and dark areas I couldn't get a design to properly stand out. After spending way too much time trying to make it work, I decided to over dye it. Here is the result.
My intention for this half was to feature beaded rain drops. I'd been struggling to find the proper contrast to work with the original dyed fabric....pal Kate suggested instead of using silver or white beads, I could try purple and call the piece Purple Rain. I LOVED that idea, yet the original fabric was still too blotchy and once it was over-dyed, purple no longer worked either. Big sigh here.
I plunged ahead anyway, not knowing exactly how the project would proceed. It began by stabilizing the linen with Pellon's light-weight non-fusible interfacing. Then an appliqued umbrella was incorporated. Next a very thin batting and a backing were added. Machine stitching depicts rain, yet it doesn't stand out well enough. (As I suspected.) After a deep dive into my bead stash....ah ha.....I found pewter-like metallic bugle beads as well as some color lined seed beads to further enhance the rain drops.
Now....the beading continues......taking great care not to distort the fabric. Stay tuned......the completed piece will show up here one of these days very soon.
Enjoy seeing what other artists have been working on this week: Nina-Marie's Off The Wall Friday, Sarah's Whoop, Whoop Friday, Crazy Mom Sews.