Friday, May 10, 2013

YEAH...BACK IN THE STUDIO

After a week of quality family time.....my fingers are itchin' for some stitchin'.

...So, out came some hand-dyed and felted wool.
...Then, inspired by a shibori article by Holly McLean in Quilting Arts in April/May 2013, I wondered if this dyeing/painting method could translate to felted wool.

Due to the thickness of the wool, I decided to pleat the material, securing with string. Textile paint was applied to the folds, allowed to dry and the process was repeated twice more altering some of the paint color.
Here's what that process yielded.....so...what to do next??  Well, I have some ideas....stay tuned.

I'm posting this to Nina-Marie's Off The Wall Friday.  Check it out.

2 comments:

Robbie said...

I think we all go through withdrawal if we/you aren't sewing something! I finally dyed some fabric and did some mono printing!! And started some hand stitching on a shibori piece...still have Zachary to finish and binding/facing on another but....love the effect you got with tying and painting! I even purchased that particular QA magazine because of Holly's article (I stopped getting magazines - only subscribe to DMTV). Nice results you got...can't wait to see what else you do with this!!!

Nina Marie said...

See I wasn't the only one that was itchin' to get back to stitchin' - LOL!! Sometimes a break like that is a good thing so we don't take our studio time for granted!