Thursday, March 2, 2023

SCAN N CUT - HUGE LEARNING CURVE FOR ME

 I expected the Scan N Cut to be a plug in and go.....ha ha.  These machines are so darn complex, taking a hammer to it had occurred to me many times.  

All I wanted it for was to be able to scan in a design, mostly nature based like trees/birds/weeds etc. And then have the machine cut it out pre-fused fabric to be used for appliqué...thus saving my ever problematic shoulder.

Thanks to follower Darlene and others.....I learned about several SNC Facebook groups.  Members of 'Everything Scan N Cut with Jennifer Brodie' hand held me through the most basic problems to a head scratcher.... 

I believe I'm on my way to better results as seen in these photos......




AND FINALLY SUCCESS!!!!
A few things I learned.....it's necessary to have a complete outline of the motif (originally the lower trunk was not closed), switched to Heat N Bond Lite fusible (which I've never liked) learned to clean my mat properly, learned to starch my fabric before fusing....and on and on.....  

I was told over and over, every machine is different (why?!?) it takes a lot of experimenting to find the combo of materials/set up that makes yours happy.  BTW - most of the members of this group do not work with fabric....instead do the most amazing things with paper and vinyl but I can not tell you how friendly, helpful and encouraging this group is.





8 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Wonderful that you were able to get some expert help from others who've been there!

The Inside Stori said...

Carole, the generosity and patience of this group was fantastic....as well as the support of my friends and followers. I'm used to giving advice....sure felt different to be on the receiving end! Now I know how my students must have felt when faced with totally new (and perhaps difficult) techniques that I presented!

dgs said...

Your final tree looks awesome. But it does appear you may have too deep a cut (or past cuts) as it looks like you've been cutting into your mat. Yes, few SNC/Electronic Cutting enthusiasts cut fabric, but the niche that does really enjoys it. I'm looking forward to see your project come to life.

The Idaho Beauty said...

THAT is a beautiful tree - congrats! I had wondered about the type of fusible you were using, if it was causing issues. And the starching makes sense. Also, having done a little fooling around with drawing in the EQ software, I get the need for closed lines. Nothing so startling as to design a block and start adding color to individual areas only to have it suddenly bleed throughout the block. Here's hoping your current success continues.

Nancy said...

Oh ugh.... a steep learning curve. I think that's why I never went in for a serger or embroidery machine. I often don't get along well with machines and just don't want to spend time trouble shooting. Lucky my sewing machine is a good friend. How frustrating when you just want to get on with it. But your tree is finally a success and looks good. In the long run this will save you a great deal of hand and arm/shoulder stress.

The Inside Stori said...

Nancy.......I laughed out loud when I read your comment......I too could never get the hang of my serger and a total dislike for embroidery machines....... guess we are just old school gals!

Jody said...

I really need to take mine back out of the box and learn how to use it. I need to make some stencils, and perhaps a bit a applique as well.
I do like to learn new technology as long as it is user friendly and this machine seems to be a bit persnickety. Thanks for sharing the learning curve with us, it is inspiring me to get mine out again and try it out this time (I did set it up a few months ago and then packed it away again).

The Inside Stori said...

Jody if I wasn't so darn stubborn I'd have packed mine up too. I never considered using it to make stencils.....good plan. Clearly this machine is doable......there is evidence of huge success on the SNC group lists.....mostly paper though....not many that I've seen work with fabric. I'll commiserate along with you if you have bumps in the road.