Friday, March 10, 2023

R & R

 After way too much of 'the husband's' 2022 year long health drama, a lull allowed me to attend our annual PTA (Professional Textile Artists) retreat, ongoing since 2009.

Bliss.....laughter galore, great food, ample bubbly, and a sewing marathon made it perfect.

This year we each got two narrow tables!!!  I was able to snag a spare one to use for a sewing station.  One negative...the chairs were so low, even with multiple pillows I couldn't achieve a good level to sew and press....lots of having to stand up between sewing seams.  I'm a press as you go sewer.
  My blocks are now arranged on my design wall at home in preparation for the black and white sashing I'll be adding between the blocks. 
Here's a mock up Lynne (and expert at EQ) made for me after I began to fool around with some simple black and white checkerboard strips I had sewn. I like the random placement of the fabrics better, so this is the route I will probably take.

Barbara's show and tell.....awesome isn't it?
Barbara worked on several projects.....here's one
And here's another......
Cathy was working on this happy and oh so colorful 9 patch piece.  I should have gotten close-ups of her hand stitched accents.....just right additions!
Our meals were perfection again this year....we finally got smart and used paper products to reduce our kitchen chores.....okay it's not environmentally friendly, we get that!!  This is Shrimp Gumbo, and homemade brioche buns with what else?!?  Yes, bubbly.....
After several different approaches to meals over the years....finally the last two years Leigh Anne and Barbara pre-made most of our delicious meals.  Leigh Anne is an excellent and enthusiastic chef....she and her husband are embarking on their own food truck which will be stationed across from the Virginia Quilt Museum.  Don't miss it if you are ever in that area!!  (We may use paper plates but we do recycle....photo taken lunch time day 2.)

Marene's project had us all drooling......aren't you??

There were 9 of us this year, unfortunately I missed snapping photos of all the projects.....so intent was I on getting my blocks made!!  


5 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh my gosh- this was a welcome and refreshing getaway for you. You've earned it! I like how your quilt is shaping up and the EQ view of it with sashing looks good. It's motivating to see the layout like that image. Wonderful projects, and I'm really loving that pieced Drunkard's Path. Having the (very appealing) meals prepped ahead was so smart, and to have someone who actually loves to cook is a bonus. That would not be me, but I'd sure value the efforts of those who did cook. So glad you had this time away to yourself and with quilting friends.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

How wonderful, you certainly deserved the break after the year you've had!!

Kathy said...

Such a relief that things are finally stable enough for you to have a getaway. I'm sure it was wonderful...and would have been even if you had sewn nothing! Relaxing and very necessary...good for you!

dgs said...

I'm so happy you were able to go on your retreat and enjoy it. I love seeing what everyone worked on. Really looks like a great retreat, which I think you really needed after last year.

Sherrie Spangler said...

So glad you got to take a break, and what could be better than sewing and eating with good friends!