Wednesday, April 27, 2022

FRIENDSHIP

 After authoring books for AQS and Martingale, I was flattered to be contracted by C & T Publishing to create a book where the focus was  beading on fabric.  The result was "Beading Basics", published in 2001.


The purpose was to provide a beading 101 illustrated book.  Basically a front row seat to my beading classes.  It couldn't have been done without the help of some of my friends.  I put out a call to students (many who traveled with me on my numerous cruises and tours) to ask if they might be willing to provide a wall quilt for me to embellish with beads.  Each piece was so helpful in illustrating to the readers how different beading styles could enhance wall art. Beads can be applied before or after the piece was complete.


One such quilt was "Civil War Stars" - 56" x 56", by Jan VanderHill.  Antique matte finished brass seed beads outline each of the friendship stars.  Jan pieced the quilt using reproduction civil war style cotton fabric.



After all the work was finished and the book published, Jan generously gifted the quilt to me.  I've treasured it for all these years.  Now in the present.......it's been on my mind for a long time that this piece should return to Jan or her daughter Sandie, or granddaughter Alley, who often traveled on these cruises with us. So off it went this morning, flooded with wonderful memories of these good friends.

The book is out of print but if you search for it online you'll find plenty of sources....including this one where it can be borrowed for free:   

C & T offers an ebook version of another illustrated book of mine:  "All In One Beading Buddy" - published in 2008 which features 78 illustrated bead stitches.  You can order it here. 


6 comments:

Robbie said...

What a considerate and thoughtful gesture on your part, Mary. But no surprise to those of us who know you!

Nancy said...

How nice you'll be sending the quilt "back home" for family to treasure. And you've had the enjoyment of it all this time. The book really is a useful one for beading methods and ideas. I noticed at the AQS show in Daytona that many of the top quilts include special embellishments, beading, embroidered details. There seemed to be fewer with crystals this time, although those do catch the display lights so beautifully. That was trendy and popular for a bit.

The Inside Stori said...

Thank you Robbie & Nancy ......it was long over-due.......thinking about something needs to turn into action!! Lesson learned!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Mary! What a beautiful story! Thank you so much for thinking of us. I could never forget all of the fun we had on those cruises. I truly enjoyed hanging out with grandma and all of her quilting friends!

The Inside Stori said...

Well....I've figured who Anonymous is........ Alley.......yes, what great times we had and what a special person you are....always taking care of me by bringing me pizza!!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Took the class. Bought the book. Have referenced it often and after all these years, still recommend it to others. However, somehow I missed that many samples were done by students. Such a lovely idea to gift back that quilt!