Monday, November 29, 2021

FABRIC TOO PRECIOUS NOT TO USE!!

The day Doreen Speckmann called and invited me to join her on her famous Caribbean cruises I felt like Ricky Nelson had invited me to the prom.  Okay....that dates me right??

We made a great team and eventually with Doreen's blessing, the tour company offered me a hosting position on additional trips.
Little did I know that this June, 1999 Alaska cruise would be our last together.  Doreen passed away Sept. 18, 1999, in Ireland while I was leading a cruise/tour to the Greek Isles. 

DOREEN....no last name was ever needed for her huge fan base.
 My project for that trip was a small hand quilted art quilt for  students to learn hand quilting skills. Doreen's signature characters, "Peaky and Spike" are featured in a place on honor at the top of the totem pole.
 
DETAIL

This wonderful cotton fabric from Indonesia was the backing.  For years now I've treasured this little quilt, both for the design on the front and the fun backing which was given to me by my beloved MIL.  I simply could not discard it!!  Instead it was up-cycled.  The shape of the hand quilted design on the front didn't translate to the many, many ideas I dreamed up.....so the quilt was turned over and became book covers.


Those great memories with Doreen and all the participants who became friends worldwide will be with me forever even if the fabric isn't.

4 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Keep one of the book covers, such a special memory on both sides!!

Michele Bilyeu said...

Beautiful memories and lovely projects. What an accomplished life you have been blessed with 💜

Nancy said...

Who could forget Doreen, or Peaky and Spike? What great memories you made.

The Inside Stori said...

I'm so delighted to know this little post made others remember Doreen with a big smile!!