Tuesday, December 22, 2020

MY FACING TECHNIQUE

 Our small art group group has been meeting via Zoom.....not ideal but still very inspiring and wonderful to have this monthly connection.

Recently the subject of facings came up...several of us shared our methods.  Each has its merits and probably negatives as well.  

Since so many of us are 'home alone' for this holiday season and perhaps have spare time to play, I thought I'd share my facing method. It's a combination of several I've used over the years.....read on....

You should be able to enlarge the photos by clicking on them.



































4 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

Thanks for this tutorial! I think this may become my go-to way to face quilts from now on. Happy Holidays!

Robbie said...

Great Tutorial!!! Thanks...one tip from Sarah Ann Smith was to put the facing on the top and bottom first! This way once the facing is folded over/sewn, you won't see that little opening (even with stitching by hand) where the facing(s) are joined. Makes a clean look when viewing your quilt from the side when hung on the wall! Love all these tips! Just need to remember them all! Thanks again for your post!!!

The Inside Stori said...

Thanks for the suggestion Robbie......I'm going to have to see if it makes any difference with this method but I can see where it might......so wonderful after all this time we can learn new tricks!!!

The Idaho Beauty said...

I use a similar method except it doesn't have you cut the side facings shorter. What a clever way to reduce bulk in those corners! Very neat and tidy. Happy Holidays!