Friday, May 8, 2020

BLOCKING QUILT

Gosh darn, this quilt seems to be taking forever!  Finally the binding is hand stitched in place and it's now dry after blocking. I used a lot of authentic Japanese polished cotton prints that tend to stretch no matter how careful I am.

In the future I am determined to remember to use some spray starch to help prevent distortion, which in this case only happened during the quilting process.  I quilted with metallic thread which may also have contributed to the problem.


The quilt measures square but I'll have to work on a few of the lower far right strips a little more. Several seams aren't quite straight and they bug me! Of course my photo is a bit cockeyed...it's hard to get a good shot standing over the quilt. I've been told I'm overly fussy about the quality of construction, yes I am! 

4 comments:

Robbie said...

But that's why your work/workmanship is so obvious to us! You take your time and create works of art! You're an inspiration to us all!

Kathy said...

Go ahead--be as fussy as you want! You are the one that has to be happy with it. And if this beautiful quilt needs more fussing, I just don't see where! Gorgeous!

The Inside Stori said...

Thank you ladies for your encouragement.....don't laugh....I'm STILL not satisfied even after block and adding the binding, so I'm now going to rip out some quilting in the offending areas, baste the hell out of it and then quilt again. Lesson learned....when using the Japanese polished cottons, no matter what the size, I'm going to spray starch them first. They are just too unstable!! I've fought them before but never like on this project. The positiive is our stay at home continues to May 22nd. so I have plenty of free time!

Nancy said...

Fussy is a good trait- it shows in your work. I always find it surprising that straight seams with rectangles and squares can go curvy- but they can. I made a piano key border on a baby quilts years ago and it was so wavy it had to come off.