Wednesday, January 16, 2019

CAROLINA HURRICANE QUILT PROJECT

I met Carole (an area quilter and blogger) last spring and have been following her always inspiring posts ever since.  This is one talented lady who has a big, giving heart.

She's involved with the Carolina Hurricane Quilt Project whose mission is to create bed size quilts for the huge number of victims of "Florence" & "Michael on the North Carolina coast.  Please take the time to visit Carole's blog where all the info you need to help support this good cause can be found.

Though I no longer enjoy making traditional patchwork quilts, as you can see.....I decorate with them. 
So, the cutting begins for a full size Hurricane Project quilt.  Because bed size quilts are too much of a struggle for me to quilt on my standard home machine, I'm comforted by  knowing that generous long arm quilters have stepped up to quilt these donations!
 I've decided upon a scrappy blue string quilt.....a perfect project to tackle during the upcoming PTA (Professional Textile Artists) retreat. As is my habit, I pre-cut my fabrics at home.....allowing for carefree stitching during the distraction of fun antics in our sewing room.
My two test blocks.......hoping this will prove to be a handsome (more masculine) quilt by the use of the stripe focal fabric and narrow red sashing strips.  Consider donating a quilt, won't you??

9 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Thank you, Mary!!!

Ramona said...

These blocks will make a lovely quilt. I agree with it looking masculine. Love the red and blue.

Mary in Boulder said...

You're off to a great start! I know what you mean about pre-cutting your fabrics before a retreat. The one time I did cut at a retreat I had to eventually cut every block down to make them match. Looked like a very sleeping and distracted person had done the cutting, which was true!

Mary in Boulder said...

You're off to a great start! I know what you mean about pre-cutting your fabrics before a retreat. The one time I did cut at a retreat I had to eventually cut every block down to make them match. Looked like a very sleeping and distracted person had done the cutting, which was true!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh it is going to be great! Love the colors you are using - very soothing

Robbie said...

First off, you quilts look wonderful displayed in your lovely home...next, would you please adopt me so I can live in your house and walk around all the beautiful land you showed in previous post(s)! I'll be good and won't eat much...drinking wine could be a different story but............

Judy Warner said...

It will be beautiful, Mary!

grammajudyb said...

Very handsome blocks. Looking forward to seeing the finish.

Norma Schlager said...

How generous of you. A full size quilt is quite a commitment, but thankfully you won't have to quilt it. You are off to a good start and I agree that it has a masculine feel to it.