Friday, June 29, 2018

STRING ART - FIBER JUNKIES JUNE MEETING

Thanks to my several posts my blogger pal Robbie  shared on her blog, the Fiber Junkies jumped on the bandwagon of 'string art'.  None of us began with high exceptions but we all agreed at the end of the day that it was fun, yet with somewhat limited results.  
 The premise is simple......coat string, twine, cording in some form of dye, ink, or in my case acrylic paint.  Place on your print surface.....here I used a piece of National Nonwoven's Woolfelt. 
 Fold the fabric over the string, place in a heavy book and pull the string free.  DO not stand on a book and try to pull the string out!!  (The blue mop up cloth was a precaution to avoid getting paint on Judy's floor).  It turns out that was unnecessary....guess I weigh too much to allow the string to come free!
Putting pressure on the top of the book while pulling the string worked best.
 This approach yields mirror images.
I continued adding more designs with gray and then a metallic paint.
 This was my 2nd attempt....more is not always best...a real mess in my opinion.
 I added dots with the tip of a paint brush to provide a little more interest for this my 3rd one.
Here's my best attempt.  Gen was having great success with her designs by working on paper and carefully looping the string in circular shapes.....while arranging it in as much of a vertical placement as possible.  When I followed her method on my wool felt, the prints were more defined...less messy.

Denny worked with disperse dyes on paper, then ironed it onto "Peach skin" fabric.
 This is one of Gen's.....she used felt marker applicators to add the dye to her string.
Our results varied not only by the placement of the string but the diameter and type of cord/string etc. used as well.
I love how Judy overlapped these two colors that were printed onto fabric.  Will the Fiber Junkies do this again...probably not....but it was a really fun day.

Check out what other fiber lovers have been working on this week:  Nina-Marie's Off the Wall Friday, and Sarah's Whoop, Whoop Friday.



9 comments:

Kathy said...

Pretty much what our group experienced and decided, too! It was fun.

Julie Bagamary said...

Nice designs and looks like a fun process.

Nancy said...

Well it's sure fun! You certainly explored all of the possibilities in types of string, paper, fabric, paint, ink. I can envision the fabric providing more resistance to the pulling, and the cord "sinking in" a bit to give less definition than on the paper. Now I'm thinking- what supplies shall I try???

Shirlee Fassell said...

Looks like fun I will have to try this!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

For a first attempt, I'd say you all did very well. A successful day.

Robbie said...

results were nice!!!!! The more curves you place with the string on the fabric the more 'curls/flower' patterns you get...but you did all get some nice results!!!! Now, I have to get back to my fish!!! Nemo awaits! HA

Lee said...

Just stumbled in here for the first time...this put a smile on my face as I remembered when, way back when I was in the 5th grade [in the dark ages when copies were made on a mimeograph machine] where we made our own math books using cloth over cardboard for covers and this string & paint method to make the inside papers on the front and back covers. My 5th-grade teacher, Mrs. Sloan, was the best and made learning a joy.

Quilt Rat said...

this is a technique that I keep meaning to try....I think you all created great designs....what is really fun is to see how varied the methods and results were.

Rebecca said...

I once belonged to a group that would do this kind of play...I miss that.

This looks like the exact best way to do this (try a new technique). You can see each others' results, and have the experience of doing it together whether or not you ever do it again, or even like the results.