Friday, October 9, 2015

THROUGH THE GARDEN GATE - NEW WORK

Awhile back, I made a piece that had the feel of a Frank Lloyd Wright Prairie Style window or at least that was my impression.  You can see it here.
I set out to try a similar yet different approach, inspired by this flat dyed mercerized cotton. It was dyed in about 3 mins. by squirting leftover dye...thus the color scheme.
This hunk of cotton was ice dyed.
And this is 4 sections of deconstructed screen printed designs. One of the Fiber Junkies has a wonderful thin metal gear/washer looking thing that we all love to use for this technique. It inspired my idea to feature circles.
The background was stitched to give the appearance of tall grasses. A few of the deconstructed circular motifs were isolated and surrounded with 1/4" strips of the green ice dyed fabric.  

Then I spent far too much time auditioning various arrangements of narrow strips as seen above and below......
......You are being spared ALL the variations......and we'll go right to the final one below.
THROUGH THE GARDEN GATE - 15.25" x 24.75"  © 2015
AVAILABLE HERE (also a larger view)
Hand-dyed, ice dyed, and deconstructed screen printed cotton. 
Machine stitched.
Detail

Linking to:  Nina-Marie's Off The Wall Friday, Whoop, Whoop Friday, Crazy Mom Sews, Richard and Tanya Quilts.

10 comments:

Kaja said...

I like the vivid blue strips over the circle shapes and the more muted background.

Jayne said...

Gorgeous! I love each piece of fabric...the skinny lines are amazing!

Linda Wulf Koenig said...

Just lovely! I would love to watch you at work. Thanks for sharing this.

Debbie At The Quilt Journal said...

very nice....reminds me of buttons!!

Angela said...

I can see why everyone wants to use that gear!

Lara B. said...

The stripes you did give it an even more FLW feeling. Your handmade fabrics make it so much more artistic Mary!

Nancy said...

Oh, I like! That gear thingy makes wonderful images.

Robbie said...

Now this is really COOL!!!! The placement and use of the narrow strips is perfect!!!! Well done my friend!!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Yum, yum yum. One of my favorite palettes - that blue/green with that brown. And I love a good grid - especially when it's done this way with some over and under of the strips. You were smart to cut the "gears" out of the other fabric and place them under the grid. A lot of machine stitching in there, gal! It looks great...

TheItinerantChemist said...

Your quilts are mesmerising! I just had to go and read more about the pine needles. :) Thank you for sharing them with us!