At our September Fiber Junkies meeting, we worked with house paint, applying it to previous quilted designs. Here's the post.
This is one of my whole cloth trapunto stencil designs that was machine quilted with metallic thread. The transformation began with a coat of off white house paint. Then, after numerous applications of other colors.....the results was quite pleasing.
The next step was to determine the most appropriate method of finishing the edges. The layers were a little too thick and a bit stiff to achieve a tidy edge using a facing. The quest to find fabric that showed off the design, but one that didn't detract, was surprisingly time consuming. Eventually this piece was unearthed. It's a dense cotton that was sun printed. The sun didn't cooperate the day I did this so I had been disappointed in the results. The (sort or) circles were created using stickers as a resist.
After applying a double fold binding, it still seemed a bit lacking.
So with metallic thread, I hand stitched some diagonal lines along the binding that met some of the quilted design lines. I took them off after sewing two sides. Instead, working with a heavier Maderia metallic embroidery thread, lines are stitched in only a few areas of the binding. See below...click to enlarge.
Upon moving to the mountains and with great determination, 'the husband' and I vowed to explore the outdoors on a regular basis. Though we faithfully walk each day.....it's almost always in our own subdivision. Sigh.....
Recently, we learned about a hidden waterfall in the Pisgah National Forest, off the beaten path....really off the beaten path! After a very bumpy drive along unmarked roads, following written instructions that almost read like ' turn left at the big rock, directly after a sharp right curve....' (You get the picture) we got to the dead end and headed out on foot.
This was the reward!
But I didn't ignore the gems along the way......
The hike was a tad challenging because of the numerous steep berms to navigate.....making me wish I'd have brought my walking stick! Our black lab was in a frenzy with happiness being out in the woods.....she turned into a great sled dog.....pulling me up the steep mounds....really, she did!
I could listen to this all day......it's a very short video if you are interested. The studio beckons.......we'll visit again very soon.
Attaching agate slices to my projects with beads has become one of my favorite techniques.
While most would pass on purchasing such a stone....having a hole in it provides more creative opportunities.
Just when I thought I had conquered this technique....yesterday, I had to admit defeat. The edges of this stone slice angled downward (instead of straight) and were unusually uneven. I misjudged the spacing on the beginning rounds of beadwork.....assuming it could be pulled tight when the last rounds were added (decreasing the number of beads to allow the 'bead cage' to encase the stone.) The problem was actually apparent early on but I sort of liked the wavy affect along the edge, esp. since the background was marbled cotton. However, since these items are for sale, I couldn't risk that the agate would be held snugly enough in place.......
......So......after about 4-5 hours of beading....it only took 10 minutes to remove it. Sure.....I'll try again..... THINKING AHEAD TO TOMORROW......GO PACKERS!!!!!!!!
My creative time seems to be disappearing lately due to "life"....but I was able to complete a new piece which I blogged about here.
After the hand applique was done, the background was free-motioned machine quilted. NOT a task I'm comfortable with nor think is fun to do. But like so much in life....practice is the key, so who knows I may actually look forward to it in the future.
I'd marbled the cotton background awhile ago and combined it with hand-dyed wool which is not an approach I've used before. This presented a difficult decision about the appropriate edging treatment. After trying many, many options, a facing turned out to be my choice. However....once it was completed.....(above) it still didn't feel finished so rather than grabbing beads which is my usual solution, small wool squares were added along the two vertical sides. Now it felt complete.
Not long ago I made my first wet felted vessel....a small bowl/vase.
As seen drying.
So......I kept wondering whether beads would be a fitting touch. For regular readers you already know the answer....the decision was yes. Except for having to deal with the shape, the stitching process was effortless as the thread went through the felted wool like a hot knife through butter. Not a surprise I guess!
During my most recent teaching trip Shelley Dawson Hendershot made an announcement to her guild members. She introduced the Angel Gown Garment Project.
The organization is called NICU Helping Hands. It is based in Fort Worth, Texas and lead by Lisa Grubbs. It was founded in 2010 to create "Family Support for Fragile Beginnings." The Angel Gown Garments are only a tiny portion of the services they offer families. The dresses began in 2013 because they recognized the overwhelming need to support families who lost a baby while in the hospital. Volunteers all over the US turn bridal gowns into Angel Gown Garments. They make both boy and girl gowns in three tiny sizes. We use bridal gowns because "There's something hopeful about that start of life, about a wedding, and to me, it's that full circle. This child who is so loved by their parents, being wrapped in love by a bride." ~Lisa Grubbs, Founder.
In the Blue Ridge Mountains , North Carolina, United States
Mary Stori creates one-of-a-kind art quilts featuring bead embellishment, hand embroidery & machine stitching on artist created fabric such as hand dyed felted wool, screen printed or hand dyed cottons.
She declares, 'Mistakes are merely design opportunities, forcing one to experiment and grow, making an ordinary quilt, extra-ordinary!"