I enjoy sharing construction/design tips as my art quilts develop. Hummm.....seems I posted the completed piece prior to this tidbit. However, perhaps this technique will come in handy for you someday.
In order to achieve the appearance of transparency of the water, I resorted to covering the blue batik cotton print with sheer fabric. Often I'll dye or otherwise alter sheer fabric for color enhancement. This time I used just a white sheer. I began by fusing wonder under directly onto the 'water' portion of the quilt top.
Next, using a long handled fire starter lighter, I quickly and carefully ran the flame along the top edge of the sheer to melt the fibers, preventing them from fraying. When attempted with cotton fabric, it will burn, but polyester's will melt. Beware it must be done quickly or your fabric will disappear like the Wicked Witch of the West before your eyes! Once the edge was prepared, it was fused to the water section of the quilt top.
The difference will be easily seen in the posted photos.
Note - For locals who would like to play with sheers, my pal Jenny Lyon will be teaching a "Blooming Sheers" workshop at Ridge Quilters Guild in November. Contact her for details: jenny@quiltskipper.com



No comments:
Post a Comment