Tuesday, August 8, 2023

SHOULDER SURGERY UPDATE

 






4 weeks post surgery…. I’m still in misery most of the time.  Been trying to gear up to write an update but just so hard with left finger & big padded sling on right side hitting keyboard.

Had 7 incisions - 3 separate rotary cuff tears - 2 partial & 1 full thickness = complete detachment.  Plus bone spurs removed & repair to AC joint and deltoid.  I’m not even going to pretend to be stoic…..pain has been awful.  Woke up in recovery unable to open and see from left eye….no one could figure out why….back to normal in 3 days with a variety of eye meds they had me trying.   I Started PT about 2 weeks ago which will continue till at least SEPT. 1.   It too is AS AWFUL AS EXPECTED BUT OF COURSE NECESSARY.  I must be getting somewhat better because I’m really bored now….…right side useless since it’s so difficult to do much of anything.  However, I can easily pick up my glass of bubbly!!  

Spending time doing home PT exercises & icing my shoulder.  Some photos attached of the equipment - though the ice machine is now gone.  $$ to rent and for some stupid reason there was only 1 size shoulder pad - wayyyyy to big for me so it had to be velcroed in place with confusing number of straps which attached themselves to the excess number of padded velcro sling straps …..creating velcro hairballs that were impossible to attach and remove with only one good hand.

This is all I can manage for now…….but two weeks ago I couldn’t even do this much.   Excuse typos...

10 comments:

Kathy said...

Thanks! We have all been waiting for your update and hoping against hope that the pain would NOT be as awful as it has been. I think you found your mantra to get you through....NECESSARY! Keeping you in our thoughts and hoping that every day gets a little less painful and easier to manage!

Anonymous said...

You are doing great Mary. Give yourself a break you just went through major shoulder surgery. You will heal and eventually not have pain and be happy you had the surgery. Your shoulder was a mess and would have only gotten worse. Fill yourself with some things you’ve not been able to do all these years~read, design and most of all rest and let your body heal. You’ve got this friend❤️❤️❤️
Darlene

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

You are getting cranky, a very good sign that you are on the road to recovery, LOL!! But seriously, so sorry you have had so much pain. Shoulder surgery is a terrible recovery, hang in there. Virtual hugs, since real ones would hurt.

Anonymous said...

Holy heck..sorry I didn't mark on my calendar. Been dealing with hubby and vision and speech issues. Spent the last 24 hours in ER observation room..think it is NOT blood clots but silent migraine. So scary..he couldn't form words. Happened 2 weeks ago and again yesternary. Glad you are on the memd..just enjoy wine time!!!

Jody said...

I hope you can work with your Doctor to get that pain under control. It slows healing down a ridiculous amount. I love the cold machine for my knee replacement, but the velcro was a pain to use. I know why we use velcro but sheesh, something easier to maneuver would likely be better for many. Sending you best wishes and love for a speedier recovery going forward. And the exercises and PT-necessary but painful.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Actually, not bad considering what they did to you. So nice to have a post and see some pics. I had a machine that sent icy water into a pad that I was to use on my back at the surgery points and loved it as I could lie on the pad as I reclined on the sofa and it gave me relief from pain. Odd that you had to rent one though - they sent me home from the hospital with it, mine to keep, no separate charge for it that I saw. You'll get there!

Nancy said...

This has been unbelievable! The contraption for your arm looks unwieldy at best. It must take half the day to strap the straps and get yourself dressed and adjusted to go out for PT. But glad you are seeing progress. Losing the pain would go a long way in feeling the progress. Best to you as you plod on through this. Thanks for the update.

Anonymous said...

Oh Mary, I’m sorry for all these issues and complications! I’m thinking of you and sending positive energy your way for a very speedy recovery! ❤️

Anonymous said...

Hang in! I know it will be worth it! Hopefully sooner than later.😍

Sherrie Spangler said...

I feel your pain! I sure hope it gets better soon. They didn't give me an ice machine, but I've been told they work really well.