Monday, August 29, 2022

WISCONSIN ROOTS MEETS THE SOUTH

 In the past a large vegetable garden was a given for my household.  That is till we moved to the mountains where our rocky and poor soil made that out of the question.  However, being empty nesters, pots became more a more sensible choice for us.


I may have gone Southern!  Our tomatoes all ripened at the same time.  My buddy Carole posted her tomato recipe on her blog and it looked so tempting, check it out here.  I didn't have the ingredients on hand so I used Paula Deen's recipe instead.....both I'm sure are equally delicious.

But you can't take this Cheesehead out of Wisconsin totally....to accompany our meal we enjoyed 'Spencer Steaks' on the grill.  We have a large order of steaks and brats shipped to us twice a year from Sheboygan, WI -  Mieseld's Meat Market. Describing them as 'steak' is misleading....they are actually a tenderized steak...more like a minute steak.  And ooooohhhhh so much better.  I teamed mine with Wisconsin herb goat cheese.  

I still enjoy cooking, yet restrictions on input/calories can be a bummer as my age marchs on.  I'm back to sewing, Yeah.....body pretty much all healed so expect some creative posts soon.

2 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Yum! Thanks for linking my tomato pie! I have to keep cream cheese (and goat cheese too) in the refrigerator at all times. I use in in my spinach bake as well.

Nancy said...

Add cheese- it's got to be good. Tomato pie- yum. And the steaks look good, too.