Having at least one large (over 60") wall art quilt in my inventory is always a priority. Along with my booth mate Judy Simmons, we have access to display a few quilts at the entrance of Woolworth Walk.. It's faublous to have such a visible location to hang our bigger work which isn't possible in our booth.
Monday, January 18, 2021
I've been focused on much smaller pieces for a very long time and had the urge to dig into start a more challenging one.
Clearly I've been out of practice....the picture in my mind thought this was a good idea. NOT, definitely NOT! I love the random sizes and placement of these blocks and was feeling confident after arranging them since I had made a similar piece a few years ago.
Holy cow, my brain must have turned to mush after this prolonged isolation. As I began sashing the blocks I was still ignorant of the problems ahead.....sure the black background looks great BUT....how on earth could this be pieced?
I'm a good record keeper, so I dug out my files to find reference notes for that previous similar, but not the same quilt. None....no where to be found.....ah ha.... I didn't save them because it was such a terrible way to make a quilt. I decided that it'd be one and done. Obviously I didn't remember that.
The huge stash of Japanese style fabrics that I never thought would diminish, actually has. Finding interesting motifs to cut in standard sizes is no longer available. So in case you haven't figured it out.....what I did the last time was to appliqué the blocks to a whole cloth backing..........photo below. Why oh why did I not recall that before going so far with this one...... Well, I'm not calling quits yet.....there must be a piecing solution I just need to find it.