Wednesday, June 7, 2017

ANATOMY OF A QUILT

Two fiber buddies attending our annual small group retreat back in April were working on the same pattern that looked like an intriguing option for some of the Asian fabrics that were gifted to me.
 Leighe Anne made this one featuring large blocks.
 Janice's piece used a scaled back size block.
 They had a pattern....I did not....but by looking at their pieces I made my own size version.  This watery iris print isn't the Asian fabric I intended to use....but thought it'd be a good choice.  After making two blocks...it felt very blaaaa....  
 Thinking a larger scale print would be better, I dug out the initial fabric I had intended to use.  Unfortunately, not a single piece in the stack was large enough to complete a small wall quilt.  No, the pinkish wasn't a choice.....it was intended to give me a better idea of how this style of fabric would work.  Nope...still not happy.
 I have quite a collection of interesting authentic batiks, block prints etc., many gifts from our son who often travels worldwide for business and pleasure. This 6 yard piece of Dutch Super Wax, printed in Holland had been lurking in my 'specialty' fabric bin.

Though my immediate instinct was to start cutting blocks since I was pretty sure this was going to be 'the fabric' for the blocks....but because it was quite stiff and embedded with goo from the tape that held all the folded fabric together it had to be washed.  There were 3 labels on it and I never could get that sticky glue off!
So......here's my current choice for the feature fabric.  Stay tuned.....

4 comments:

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

I love your choice of new fabric for the blocks. I'll stay tuned to see how it turned out. I can see that this quilt pattern/design would be great for some slightly larger focus fabrics. --Andrea

The Idaho Beauty said...

What an exciting print to work with. Trying to think what you might try to remove the goo - like Goo Be Gone or the equivalent of lighter fluid. Acetone like in nail polish remover perhaps? I think that's what I have used when I've gotten it on my fingers. But sometimes that stuff jut won't let go . . .

margaret said...

really liking this fabric will make a lovely quilt also like the first quit fabric on your blog very flowery

Robbie said...

Looks really interesting!!! I actually like the colors