Friday, January 27, 2017

PRAIRIE STYLE

Many happy hours have been spent with my buddies Kate and Judy ice-dyeing fabric.  We've all come away with loads of treasures....but what the heck to do with them??
The patterns are often so high energy, with colors that don't blend well with our existing fabrics.  Yet, who wouldn't love the results or wish to find a way to incorporate them into a quilt?
I've always been fond of Frank Lloyd Wright's Prairie Style of design.  His stained glass panels hit all the right notes for me.  That got me to thinking about how this fabric echoes the look of various types of glass used in making stained glass items.  I'm not a planner/drafter of patterns because I'm an idiot about math.  Plus so often my rotary cutting is inaccurate despite trying to be meticulous. (I blame it on the shadows from my overhead lighting...in part quite true.)

And if you are a long time reader of this blog you already know that sewing patchwork is not my favorite construction method.....especially since my Pfaff died and was replaced by my nemesis a Janome 8900.

Yet I plunged ahead with this inspiration, the result is below. My next least favorite technique is machine quilting....which will be the next step for this piece when I can figure out what I want and am capable of doing.  

As I write this....I'm struck by the realization (though not for the first time) that machine work continues to be an area of quilting that I enjoy the least.  Perhaps that's why beading and hand quilting had become such passions for me! 
 quilt top 
With all this said, yes, I do believe a way to utilize this type of fabric has been achieved.  Since I actually just completed it.....here's the final look below. 
REMBERING FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT  22" X 28"
Ice-dyed cottons, machine quilted.

You can find work produced by fellow artists....do check them out here:  Nina-Marie's Off The Wall Friday,  Sarah's Whoop Whoop Friday, and Crazy Mom Sews.

SaveSaveSaveSave

13 comments:

Kathy said...

Lovely and absolutely in keeping with Prairie Style. Pretty dang cool for using all those techniques you are not loving!

Windy Hill Happenings said...

Clever, clever, clever....love it! What a great way to use this beautiful but very busy fabric. The lines really do a good job in calming it down and letting you see the beauty of the fabric.

Linda M said...

What a great idea, I've got piles of those fabrics also.

Angela said...

I am with you! Handwork is the best!

Marcelle said...

This is gorgeous! So clever!

Kris said...

Beautiful stained glass look.

quiltedfabricart said...

Brilliant idea! Your ice dyes really do look like stained glass. I love this quilt

Sherrie Spangler said...

Your quilt is stunning, both in color and design!

margaret said...

what a wonderful way to use this ice dyed fabric it looks great. Thinking about getting a janome machine just chrcked out yours £1999 and you are not happy with it, what is the problem? Mind you I will be getting a different one maybe one in the atelier range they are slightly smaller and cheaper too

Kaja said...

What a brilliant way to use your ice dyed fabrics. I love the dark lines holding in all that variation and movement. I also admire your willingness to do the stuff you don't like so much to get the right end result!

Robbie said...

This piece is WONDERFUL!!!! Yes, it is a Frank Lloyd Wright for sure!!! Must wonderful!!!

Patsy said...

OMG, Mary! I love how this came out and the fabric is perfect as well as the design!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Bravo! In love with! My favorite colors in a favorite architectural style. Such a success! But I know what you mean about disliking certain parts of quilting and how that affects what you lean towards doing and how you work. I remember noting the irony of taking on a craft that required hand sewing down of binding. I used to barter with my mom to get her to hand sew the facings and hems on the clothes I made for us when I was in high school. At that point, I really hated those finishing tasks. Oddly enough, I didn't mind doing the bindings later in life, but I still really hate hand sewing on sleeves and labels.