Saturday, April 29, 2017

DYEING MARATHON

Bliss......I've been away with pals the last four day doing a dyeing marathon at a friend's home on Folly Beach, SC.  I'm considering weighing my stack of  fabric....surely it must be 10 pounds or more.....

Here's a sneak peak of some of my results.....more to come when I can take a breath....and stop itching from all the chigger bites!!  They LOVE me....and this trip I vowed to add another layer of protection besides the outside spraying my friend does.  My skin/clothing/and even hair was drowned in bug spray....and I thought I'd gotten away with only a few minor bites...not so....but worth every annoying itch! 
 Cotton long sleeve t-shirt that had been light tan, turned into a weird pinkish after accidently being washed with bleach in a load of whites.  Now, after some ice dyeing....I have a brand new t-shirt!!
 Ditto for this sweat shirt......it started as a pale yellow...that always looked dirty....now it has a new life....though I wish it would have come out more red.....I have an aversion to anything pink.
Hooray......3 white pieces of National Nonwoven's Woolfelt were ice-dyed, then overdyed with acid dyes.  Woolfelt is available in a variety of fiber contents.  The most common is 80/20.  One would think that means 80% wool - 20% rayon.  Actually it's the opposite....so when dyeing with MX the results are generally beautiful BUT there is always a flim of undyed white wool fibers. Those wool fibers will take up color when over-dyeing in an acid dye bath and the results are so lovely.

Check back.....I'll be posting more soon.

3 comments:

Windy Hill Happenings said...

Oh Mary....what a fun time...I'm still drooling over our new stash...so sorry for all the bug bites...they really do love you!

margaret said...

what a great play time you had

Robbie said...

I guess you did need at least 5 or more of the bug clips!!! But we know you are sweet! Bugs are just showing everyone else that! HA