Friday, December 2, 2016

FOLK ART FLOWERS

It's been awhile since my last fiber post.  My heart has been warmed by the many personal emails I've received wishing 'the husband' well with his cervical spine surgery and the long recovery ahead.  I'll skip over the drama and simply say it's been rough, but thankfully except for the tremendous pain, the other negatives/risks have been avoided.  My household duties have expanded but it's nothing I can't handle.

So.....this is what was accomplished after nearly a week sitting in a hospital room.  How very fortunate it was to have something to distract and occupy my mind.

A smallish section of a hand-dyed felted wool had been calling me for quite awhile.  I'm partial to folk art styles of design and thought that flowers would translate well.
Samples of hand dyed plaid wool were fun to incorporate.  The hand embroidery was time consuming yet very satisfying....the perfect technique given the circumstances.
FOLK ART FLOWERS  20" X 11"
Hand-dyed felted wool, hand embroidered.

Visit these sites to enjoy the work of fellow stitchers:  Nina-Marie's Off The Wall Friday, Crazy Mom Quilts, Sarah's Whoop, Whoop Friday
SaveSaveSaveSave

10 comments:

Nancy said...

What a happy bunch of flowers! The embroidery accents are perfection. Do hope the days ahead see steady progress for your husband and that you stay well and keep plugging with lots of "fiber therapy" for you. All the best.

LA Paylor said...

These are so inspirational. wishing your dh ood recovery!

Judy Warner said...

Sorry to learn about your husband's surgery but glad to know that he is recovering. Your piece is beautiful. Glad you had something to keep your hands busy.

Linda M said...

Love what you were able to create during what had to be a stressful time, art therapy at it's best. Hope the hubby is improving.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Well my! Isn't this a bright & cheery piece - the very antithesis of what you have been going through. I love the delicasy of the embroidery and especially the staggered stitch lengths along the outer edge. So glad you had this as a distraction. :-)

Angela said...

These flowers are so fun and cheerful! Just what I needed on a grey day!

Julie Bagamary said...

What happiness as you go through this latest "adventure". Praying for healing and rest.

Robbie said...

It is a lovely piece, Mary!!! Just like you!!!!

margaret said...

hopefully your husband is well onthe way to revcovery now. The folk art flowers are a delight

Unknown said...

I love the flowers! And I know how helpful it is to have some art to work on while waiting in a hospital. Glad everything is working out well for your husband.