Thursday, September 8, 2016

SEA GLASS

I just returned from a late summer mini vacation to visit my brother/family in Eugene, OR. The trip was too short, made even shorter because of the limited flight schedules available at small airports.  4 flights & 15 hours of travel, door to door each way, takes a toll.  It was sure a good reminder of why I decided to retire from travel teaching!

This is not to say it was anything but totally worthwhile......face to face sure beats Facetime.

 My wonderful SIL grew up in the same town our family did.  Her family home was on the shores of Lake Michigan.  As a child she used to collect the sea glass that washed up on their beach.  She estimates these treasures have been sitting in this empty whiskey bottle for 50 years.
 We emptied it and washed the bits and pieces.  Barbara gave me free rein to take as many as I wished.
 Here's my pile....now that I'm home, I've got it soaking in some white vinegar which should hopefully brighten them up.
This is my favorite piece.....look carefully to see the twisted wire embedded in the glass.  I plan to use the sea glass to embellish my next batch of hand felted bowls.


5 comments:

Robbie said...

Like your header pics...did you do this recently or am I just seeing it now!! Sea Glass is wonderful and I can see in your felted bowls...
Glad you had a nice family trip...even with discomfort of traveling...

Kathy said...

Sea glass is so pretty. Can't wait to see how you use it!

Windy Hill Happenings said...

I can see some beautiful projects on the horizon using this sea glass...

Linda M said...

Great treasures, and with a family connection.

The Idaho Beauty said...

So the weather did not cancel your trip and you did go - good! Even with all the hours of travel and short visit, I can tell it was totally worth it. Such a treasure to bring back that glass to incorporate in your art.